3. Silver Explorer
This was to be a "cruise of a lifetime." I hope it is, because I never want to experience something so bad again, ever. The cruise was to be Nome to Nome, up to Wrangell Island, and along the Russian Arctic coast. 19 days of "nobody else gets here" cruising. The itinerary was changed a few days before we were to leave, for reasons of "fuel supplier restrictions" but the new itinerary was as cool as the old, so fine. What we got was ice blocking us from three quarters of our destinations. The ice conditions were known by Silversea before we left Nome. We never made it to Wrangell Island. The ship got to 8 nautical miles away, we got to six nm away, in zodiacs. We diverted for a medical emergency, spending more than two full days doing nothing but high speed in open sea to meet the helicopter, and then get back to someplace desired. Then, having been foiled at Wrangell, we had to steam to Anadyr for fuel. (The refueling was added to the schedule partway through the cruise, the schedule couldn't be changed, we paid for it with our time.) As a result, we ended up in Nome a day early, simply due to the need to leave Russia and enter the USA, where the timing for refueling and the paperwork cut our cruise short by a day. Silversea never lost an opportunity to leave us in the dark, or blame Russian intransigence. We do not begrudge the medical evacuation. People need a doctor, you get them to a doctor. But we had to leave Wrangell to do it, and we had been steaming at top speed for several hours on the new heading before the ship bothered to tell us about the changed plans. Every question was met with "we're doing all we can" and "that is above my pay grade" and never once did Silversea treat us like adults. On a 19 day cruise, we saw the Captain on the first and last day. no ship's officer ever explained to us what was going on. The cruise was such a disappointment that passengers are asking for their money back. Silversea was late in offering anything, paltry in their offer, and has stalled us at every step. I'll swim to my destination before I ever set foot on a Silversea deck again. One good thing: despite the cruise, expedition team and management being disappointments (each in their own way) the hotel and food service were exemplary. But still not good enough to lure me onto a Silversea ship again. Ever.

Worst experience of our lives

Silver Explorer Cruise Review by PJSphotog

I'll swim to my destination before I ever set foot on a Silversea deck again.

PJSphotog’s Full Rating Summary
Get Silversea Silver Explorer price drops

View Suite
Cabin VS
If you like light gray, with a new set of closets that are hard to work with, in a cabin that is inefficiently laid out, the new scheme is for you.
Deck 3 Outside Cabins, Suite Cabins