3. Allure of the Seas
I have been on Royal Caribbean several times before but never on a ship the size of the Allure of the Seas. If you are used to smaller ships, it can take a day or two to transition to a ship that holds over 6,000 passengers, as the initial flood of people on the first day can make activities and meals challenging, but it is well worth it. One area where I have to give Royal Caribbean credit is on the embarkation and disembarkation. Even with all the passengers, both processes went very quickly and smoothly. Our arrival time for embarkation was at 11:30 and we were on the ship and enjoying lunch by 11:55. Dining on the Allure was excellent but the first day was a bit rough. We had My Time dining and for dinner the first night, as well as breakfast on day 2, the lines were extremely long to get into any restaurant. My suggestion: don't use My Time, go with a set time to eat and for the first night eat at a specialty restaurant to avoid the crush of people. We ate at Sabor twice and Izumi Hibachi once, and had an incredible meals in both places. Based on the price ($20/person), quality of food and quality of service, I would recommend Sabor slightly higher than Izumi ($45/person) but both were truly excellent. One tip we found is that the interactive screens on the ship can tell you the capacity of each restaurant so you can determine if you would, for example, rather eat in the Park Cafe rather than the Windjammer because of crowds (and eat in the Park, they serve some very unique and delicious stuff there) The entertainment options on this ship really set it apart from every other cruise I have been on. Although I am not a fan of Abba, I did attend the show Mamma Mia that was playing on the ship and greatly enjoyed both the Broadway level quality of the singing as well as excellent set design. I would also strongly recommend seeing the Aqua show, which was a cirque du soleil style diving performance as well as Blue Planet which was another cirque du soleil style show. One recommendation is to obtain reservations as early as possible as these shows do sell out. I didn't and was able to get in, but for some shows, such as the comedy ones, I waited in line and ultimately couldn't get in because it was full. Our room was a balcony cabin on the 9th floor and we loved it. There was plenty of room for my son & I and, now that I have had a balcony, I am not sure I would ever want to cruise without one. Being able to sit on that balcony to read and relax was absolute heaven. One design note on the ship I really liked was that the running track was on the 5th deck rather than on top. This helped by allowing you to run without fighting a heavy wind the entire time. The service on the ship was excellent as always. Our cabin attendee, Erwin, was very helpful and just a great guy. My teenager did state that there were a lot more organized activities on this ship as opposed to the Freedom of the Seas, even though he mostly hung out and played Super Smash Brothers in the teen lounge. Would I go on this cruise and on this ship again? Without question. The ports were all beautiful and had many options for activities, the ship, once you got used to the size, was incredible and the service exemplary. I cannot say enough good things about this cruise.

An amazing trip

Ocean View Balcony
Cabin 6D 9724
Deck 14 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Arawak Aqua Park
    When I think of paradise in the future, I will think of Labadee. The mountains were so green, the water so blue, and it was kept impeccably clean. The vendors were a bit too aggressive, but that is to be expected at times. But this is a place I would definitely love to revisit, and was our facorite port
    View All 61 Arawak Aqua Park Reviews
  • Ziplining
    500 feet above sea level at the start, up in the green hills of Labadee, with a length of about a half mile and coming in right over the sea, this was an incredible experience for my son. It is a bit expensive, but well worth the investment. I also appreciated that all participants have to go on a practice zipline first before tackling the real one.
    View All 204 Ziplining Reviews
  • San Juan
    We walked around old San Juan and loved it. The cobblestone streets, some inlaid with blue tile, were beautiful and there were many unique shops to visit. Having Senior Frog's right outside of the port made my teenager very happy. I wish the visit there was longer, as we strangely had to be back on the ship by 1:30 PM
    View All 3,783 San Juan Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's San Juan Cruise Port Review
  • St. Maarten
    We did walk around Saint Maarten and found it both beautiful and filled with a wide range of activities. However, we just lounged on the beach. Beach chairs with an umbrella were available for a rental price of $20/chair
    View All 4,737 St. Maarten Cruise Port Reviews