3. Norwegian Getaway
We are NCL lovers. It's our cruiseline of choice. We are Gold Latitudes members. This was our 8th cruise on NCL (the 2nd on the Getaway) and have stayed in either a balcony cabin or Owner's Suite every time we've cruised. This time we went in a group of 12 that consisted of a 2 year old all the way to an 83 year old. That being said we were pretty seasoned going into this cruise, new where to go, and what to do. But, unfortunately, it was the 1st time we were disappointed. Ultimate beverage package: The biggest disappointment were the drinks. Our family happens to be in the liquor business. Each of us have our drink of choice but no matter what we ordered it was very watered down. The only beverage that was true to taste was the beer and wine. Perhaps because it had to be opened right then and there. The ultimate beverage is still the best deal on board but we would have to have at least 5 drinks with an extra shot on the side just to catch a buzz. It was so disappointing to experience every single day during our cruise. There's a lot more to say about this but...I'd rather just leave it at this. Shore Excursions: I've never taken a shore excursion from the ship before. Normally we would get off the ship to get a better deal. But having my 2 year old and my elderly in laws, we decided to go the safe route even if it cost a little more. We did the Tabyana Beach Party at Roatan and the Passion Island Beach Party in Cozumel. We started our Tabyana tour an hour late because the bus company didn't have enough seats for our party of 12. I'm not sure how that happens given the fact that you reserve and pay for the tour ahead of time. So our group was the last one on the beach since we had to wait for another bus. Once we arrived we had slim pickings for lounge chairs. The food was burnt and/or tasteless. On a positive...the beach was nice. My 6 y/o daughter snorkeled and my nieces got really nice pics for their social media. In the Passion Island excursion nobody ate anything! The "mahi" tacos were not mahi fish. Our family is from Miami, we own boats, and go fishing all the time so we know the difference between one fish and another. It was not mahi. Nothing was appetizing to my children nor the elders which are the 2 age groups that are most picky eaters not to mention my diabetic aunt. So no one ate. We were famished by the time we got back to the ship. Thank goodness I snuck out some milk and Cheerios to hold my 2 y/o over. And the tour guides were VERY friendly and tried to keep everyone's energy up but they really pushed their tips to a point that it was uncomfortable. Again, there's more to mention about this but it's just too much! Ship pool area: My husband and I are a young couple and we like to have a good time but the crowd in the main pool area was just disgusting. I expect that on Carnival cruises not Norwegian. This is the first time no one in our group enjoyed the pool. Or jacuzzis. Everytime we tried there was someone inappropriately dressed, playing nasty music in little portable radios...they can't even have a regular conversation w/o half their sentence being bad words. I saw NCL staff ask them to turn the portable radios off in numerous places...the pool, the bar, just walking around but once the staff member wasn't around...they would just turn it back on. So disrespectful to all. Ship: It's nice. We went on it when it was new so we can see the wear and tear in the last 4 years. Entertainment: Is ok. Of all the NCL ships we've sailed on we've always felt this one to have the least options in the main theater. But on the other hand..."Burn the Floor" is still THE BEST show we've ever seen on a ship! Dining: The usual. You get what you pay for. The main dining rooms are better than the buffet but the specialty restaurants are better than the main dining rooms. So it just depends on your budget. Service was good. Not completely stellar but enough to meet what we expect at NCL. We will go on NCL again because it's the cruiseline we are most comfortable with but I have to say that it's the 1st time we are considering another cruiseline before our next NCL cruise. We are having our family reunion in April 2019 and it will be on Royal. My husband and I have never gone on Royal but after the last cruise on the Getaway we have to be open to other options. We hope to get our typical NCL experience again, on a newer ship at a later date.

Not as great as past NCL cruises

Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by gwendy15

Ages 3 to 6
Get Norwegian Getaway price drops

Family Balcony Stateroom
Cabin B2 12748
Just as expected. Nothing more, nothing less.
Deck 12 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Costa Maya
    Part of the family got off the ship and said this was their favorite port.
    View All 2,468 Costa Maya Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Costa Maya Cruise Port Review
  • Beach
    Our entire group of 12 went to the Passion Island Beach Party excursion but nobody ate anything! The "mahi" tacos were not mahi fish. Our family is from Miami, we own boats, and go fishing all the time so we know the difference between one fish and another. It was not mahi. Nothing was appetizing to my children nor the elders which are the 2 age groups that are most picky eaters not to mention my diabetic aunt. So no one ate. We were famished by the time we got back to the ship. Thank goodness I snuck out some milk and Cheerios to hold my 2 y/o over. And the tour guides were VERY friendly and tried to keep everyone's energy up but they really pushed their tips to a point that it was uncomfortable. Again, there's more to mention about this but it's just too much!
  • Harvest Caye
    Way too packed. Hard to find a place for our group of 12 to be together. We had to drag loungechairs under some palm trees.
    View All 1,076 Harvest Caye Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Harvest Caye Cruise Port Review
  • Beach
    Shore Excursions:
    I've never taken a shore excursion from the ship before. Normally we would get off the ship to get a better deal. But having my 2 year old and my elderly in laws, we decided to go the safe route even if it cost a little more. We did the Tabyana Beach Party at Roatan. We started our Tabyana tour an hour late because the bus company didn't have enough seats for our party of 12. I'm not sure how that happens given the fact that you reserve and pay for the tour ahead of time. So our group was the last one on the beach since we had to wait for another bus. Once we arrived we had slim pickings for lounge chairs. The food was burnt and/or tasteless. On a positive...the beach was nice. My 6 y/o daughter snorkeled and my nieces got really nice pics for their social media.