• Cheers to 25 years: Celebrate with Us!
  • Find a Cruise
  • Deals
  • Excursions

Avalon Illumination Review

Editor Rating

AVALON failed to handle the low water in the Danube fairly

Review for Avalon Illumination to Europe
J Bunch
10+ Cruises • Age 80s

Sail Date: Aug 2018
Cabin: Royal Suite with French Balcony

Here is what I told my travel agent: The trip wasn’t the best we have done but there were some nice people we met on the boat and the stateroom was quite nice.

I am disappointed in Avalon. When we were late out of San Diego and missed the Philadelphia connection, after we were rescheduled I called the number in the Avalon booklet to report the new arrival information. The young lady took down all the information but no one from Avalon was at the airport when we arrived. Fortunately there was a Viking Representative there and she indicated there had not been an Avalon representative there, but steered us to where we got a cab to our hotel. I think Avalon should credit our credit card for the $50 each (total $100) we paid for Arrival Transfers. We followed the procedures exactly and Avalon failed to deliver.

We were without luggage Wednesday and Thursday. It arrived at midnight Thursday/Friday so we were able to join the trip group Friday Morning as scheduled.

Royal Suite with French Balcony

Cabin RS

A nice cabin with adequate storage. Toilet was in a separate room from the rest of the bathroom which made it very functional. Only negative, the cabin was mid-ship so you only could see one side of the river rather than having the premium cabins at the front or rear so you could see both ways.

2 Helpful Votes