• Help Ukrainian Families in Need: World Central Kitchen Donation Match

hvsteve1
10+ Cruises • Age 70s

Sail Date: Aug 2018
Cabin: Balcony

We booked on-board QM2 on our T/A last year. The QM2 cruise was because is was an experience we wanted to have at least once. This cruise was booked as we wanted to try a smaller Cunard ship and see the fjords.

Our overall impression of Cunard is a rather dark and subdued ship with a quiet atmosphere. This sophisticated atmosphere was pretty good for me but a little too staid for my wife, who's favorite line is Celebrity with Regent Seven Seas coming in second.

The balcony cabin was fine, though it appeared cabin upgrades were not part of last year's refitting.

Balcony

Cabin BD

Not as I expected knowing QV underwent an update last year. Guess these cabins didn't have much done to them. Bathroom was small and a shower with curtain is rather cheesy. The mattress was good enough but not high-end as you could feel the metal frame through the ticking. Our cabin attendant, Maria, was good, especially since my wife tends to sleep in, making it difficult to get the cabin made up during the normal times.

Port Reviews

Bergen

There are several hop-on-hop-off bus companies situated right outside the port. Taxis are available but the fares are outrageous. Otherwise it's a walk of about a half-mile to the touristy part of the city. As we were in port on Sunday, it wasn't worth going to the main downtown as most everything was closed. The historic (tourist) area was open and crowded. I believe we were the only ship in port so I can imagine what a mob scene it would be if there was a mega ship or two there. It was the typical tourist stores and the famous fish market. We had a nice lunch and bought some Norwegian caviar to take home. Sales taxes in Norway are VERY high but, if you spend a certain amount in a store, can get a special receipt that you can present when customs officials come on board before you leave Norway.

Geiranger

We tendered in as a larger MSC ship got to use the newly installed floating pier installed to allow at least one ship to dock. This is a small port and consists of nothing but tourist shops and overpriced restaurants. There is a hop-on-hop-off bus operating for those who want to go to some of the tourist views. We didn't take any tours so can't comment on what else there is to see.

6 Helpful Votes