3. Silver Wind
My husband has been wanting to take a cruise around the British Isles. I liked the itinerary of this one and it fit into our summer schedule. I had thought that the Silver Wind had been refurbished recently, so was surprised that nothing had been done since 2008, ten years! The ship was definitely shabby, and not in a chic way. The decor was very dated, the carpeting in the public corridors was old and stained. Our cabin was dreary and the layout of the bathroom was the worst i have ever encountered. The food was quite ordinary and nothing like the quality and variety of the cuisine on the Crystal cruise that we took in April. The entertainment in the theater was excellent. I was very impressed by the quality of the singers and their high level of talent in both singing and dancing and in all round entertaining. We didn't partake of any of the other activities. The services provided by our butler Dipak and our steward, Sumesh, were first class. In The Restaurant we sought out the tables serviced by Olesia (?) from Odessa because she was such a delightful and efficient and helpful server. The restaurant staffs were good but often seemed a bit overwhelmed by the fact that everyone, of course, tends to arrive en masse. I suggest that you might rethink your "dress code" which, in today's world, is quite out of date. Granted, we have spent most of our cruising days on expedition ships which are informal. But that you can be hustled into a jacket or tie should you appear in the only dining room that doesn't require a reservation seems quite fusty and silly. My husband is 89 years old and always appears well dressed, almost always with a jacket. However, he swore off ties when he retired from Wall St. and only wears one under duress, not when he's traveling for pleasure. As to the shore excursions, they were fine. You can't be held responsible for the fact that if you've seen one sheep, you've seen them all. The disembarkation was handled in an organized and efficient manner.

Ordinary

Silver Wind Cruise Review by bfagan

• Sail Date: August 2018
  • Destination: Baltic Sea
  • Cabin Type: Royal Suite 1

The disembarkation was handled in an organized and efficient manner.
bfagan’s Full Rating Summary