Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review

Grandeaur....not so Grand!

Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by Jilfer1

• Sail Date: Feb 2010
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean

We just got back from our first cruise ever and were greatly disappointed with RC's Grandeaur of the Seas. Where do I start? I did not realize the "large inside cabin" would be so darn small. Wow, my bathroom at home is bigger than this thing. There was ample closet space, but good thing I brought more hangers and an alarm clock (serious, no clock??). The only high point was the Great Gatsby Dining Room. We had nightly dinners there that were amazing and the service was excellent. We felt like they were there to wait on us and only us. The Matre d' was amazing as well.

Otherwise from the other food options, to the cleanliness, to the attitudes, I was horribly disappointed.

The lack of dance floor for the "dinner music", the $7-$10 drinks, the obnoxious and rabidly aggressive pool bar hands who harrassed you about getting something from the bar, the pool being closed numerous times, the horribly loud music by the pool all lead to a very poor vacation experience. The food in the Windjammer (buffet) was like bad cafeteria food. Same food every day. No mustard other than hot deli mustard. I expected over-the-top amazing food and received bad-hospital-steamtable-food. Even the rolls for the hotdogs/hambergers/sandwiches were stale (because they were left on the steamtable as well). Service in the Windjammer was also atrocious. I chose RC because I thought it would assure me a wonderful vacation, but I was wrong. I'm not sure I will cruise will RC again. What a let down!

Also, the communication was poor. We were first-time cruisers and had to go to the pursers desk numerous times to ask questions that we otherwise would have been left in the dark about. And then, were answered with an attitude, "well you need to...." Wow, amazing that i paid that much money to be talked down to.

Jilfer1's Full Rating Summary

Cabin INS 7115

"large inside cabin". Barely had room to walk aroudn the bed (and i was actually butted up against the tv stand on my side so i couldn't even get out on my side of the bed. ample closet size, no alarm clock, only shampoo in a wall-mounted shower pump. hand held shower that was tiny, marine style toilet. adequate vanity space. 1 small chair to sit in other than on the bed. noisy from the hall way. no room to store your luggage. closet ample but not enough hangers. nice drawer space. tv tiny (but hey, who watches tv). in-room safe large enough and easy to use. linens not so nice. cheap and itchy.

Costa Maya

We did the Costa Maya Rhino Tour and it was amazing. The village was poor and horribly depressing but it did indeed put things in perspective and make you appreciate what you had.

Cozumel

Hated Cozumel. We did the Playa Mia Deluxe Beach Break (and was looking so forward to it for a month!) and we were underwhelmed to say the least. Not worth the money. Again aggressive people trying to sell you over-prices massages, hair braids, umbrellas, snow-cones etc. The beach was far from beautiful. I'm from south Jersey and we do have amazing beaches here so maybe its hard to compare, but it was gross. the slime on the bottom of the floor, the rocks all over, ugh gross. definately a disappointment.

Jilfer1