Pacific Jewel Cruise Review

Tongan discovery

Pacific Jewel Cruise Review by kamo63

• Sail Date: Jul 2018
  • Destination: the South Pacific

We did this cruise to escape the winter in New Zealand. We are a middle aged couple. We have no children. This was our second cruise. The first was last year on Queen Victoria and going along the adriatic coast. This one was cruising around Fiji and Tonga. We enjoyed the ship itself. We ate more often in the Waterfront restaurant as we preferred being waited on. The service was good and so were the meals.

The shows were fantastic. The seven sins was memorable.

I bought the $199 entertainment package. Which included salt and grill meal. a bottle of champagne. Photo, Canapes every night. This deal was worth it. Salt and grill is fantastic. We couldn't eat it all.

I had bought the wine and cheese package and the wine and fruit package. The shock was in finding that they were delivered all at once. Not spaced out over 10 days.

I had bought water bottles to 6 for $20 and water is important.

We didn't book any excursions. My experience last year in Europe was that they are expensive and not always what you want to do in an area. Our call at Suva..was entertaining to get on the bus there when you did not have too. You could walk off there and be in a shopping district. I got bored as although the market was interesting you can't take food on board. So I was about to go back to the ship when a taxi driver approached and offered to take me around the island for 2 hours for $40 NZ. Deal done. It was a good trip too.

We did a similar thing in capital of Tonga. There the taxi drivers expect to be paid $200 US dollars so we bypassed them. We found to our couples and shared the expense of a taxi around Tonga and that was worth it. We saw all the sights. Captain Cook landing and Abel Tasman and more.

My husband got sick on the way back from Tonga. He started having breathing problems. He was in the hospital on the ship. They gave him the best of care there. He had water of the lungs and heart failure. Now recovering back in NZ. It was $12,000 for 36 hours care. It has to be paid before you leave the ship. Waiting to hear from insurance. This was caused by a couple of infections.

Still my experience is still positive with the ship. I will be back on this ship for the food and wine and the comedy one coming up.

kamo63's Full Rating Summary

Cabin inside 6032

Practical. Queen bed. Table and chairs. Fridge. Regularly cleaned by wonderful cleaning staff.

Port Denarau

A nice port with lots of boats. We had a beer there and used some wifi. There is a Hard Rock Cafe there.

Suva

We got a taxi and went around the place for a couple of hours. $40 for that.

kamo63