3. Avalon Tapestry II
I chose this as my first river cruise experience because of the dates, duration, itinerary and subject matter. This cruise highlighted the lives and work of various artists as well as the history of Normandy. Prior to embarking, I spent 2 weeks enjoying much of the highlights of Paris and wanted to explore more of the countryside of France. I don't care for ocean cruises because the crowds of people and the on-board entertainment and amenities are not for me. This river cruise, however, was delightful. I was able to find quiet, relaxing time and spaces, and I met very interesting people. The nightly entertainment was always enjoyable. Dining was always good with serving hours available for all schedules and the choices varied enough for all tastes. Embarkation was easy, I was greeted warmly and offered food and drink until my cabin was ready earlier than expected. The cruise director was fun, competent, efficient, helpful, accommodating and available. The rest of the crew and the captain were all helpful, cheerful and able. Disembarkation was also a breeze. The Cruise Director made sure every one had transportation to their various destinations and accommodated our late leaving time. My cabin was very comfortable in size, amenities, location and atmosphere. I particularly enjoyed lying in bed and watching the French country roll by through my floor-to-ceiling windows. I also enjoyed being able to walk off the ship and directly into the villages. The shore excursions offered alternatives depending on what I felt like doing on the day. They were well-organized and provided knowledgeable and sociable guides. I was well-briefed prior to the excursions so I knew where and when and what to expect. The only thing I missed was a swimming pool, but I'm not sure I would have found time to use it, even if it were there. There were no children among the guests on this cruise, and I doubt that children would have enjoyed it. I was traveling with my sister and brother-in-law, but I would have felt comfortable being solo on this cruise. I would definitely schedule another river cruise with Avalon. It was a most wonderful experience.

First River Cruise

Swid’s Full Rating Summary
Get Avalon Tapestry II price drops

Outside Stateroom with French Balcony
Cabin A 213
Roomy and comfortable with a small sofa, a table and chair by the window. The large windows opened so you didn't miss having an outside balcony.
Sapphire Deck Balcony Cabins