• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

OCanada13
6-10 Cruises • Age 60s

Sail Date: Jul 2018
Cabin:

Better management and training of staff is needed. They need to be proactive. CMV needs to take care of people and the ship. I was on the Magellan. Even the Captain was hiding. It was overtaken by a dance troupe from Liverpool. Nobody wanted to take a stance in keeping the children out of the adult only areas, including the hot tubs. Children were up until all hours roaming the ship, including the exercise room unattended. The Captain saw them and said nothing. Mounds of dishes and glasses were left everywhere. The bar would only pick up glasses, other things were left. There is a lot of potential in their staff, but they are not properly trained. Even officers would not say hello if they saw you in a hallway. There were exceptions... cleaning staff was excellent and there were some charming servers in the dining room. Front desk people were aware of many of the issues, for example, a terrible garbage-like smell and the craziness of the kids, but had their hands tied and gave you the customer relations email (customer.relations@cruiseandmaritime.com) when you said anything. The ship was oversold, staff was over-worked and under trained. The breakfast in the dining room was frustrating. It was difficult to find a server to pour you a cup of coffee. It is not the entertainers' job to take care of the children, but on the Magellan it appeared to be an extra duty they heaped on a couple of the singers. Why have so many children on a ship that does not have facilities for children. The children were going wacky, climbing poles in the captain's lounge and running around.

It was so cold in some areas that an elderly woman was having trouble breathing, yet on the early days on the ship you were sweating it was so warm. I think the air conditioning was turned up to deal with the terrible smell.

I will say it had a great itinerary with great ports of call, but I will not cruise with CMV again. I have asked to be compensated since I heard there were people paid a third of what I paid, but I imagine since I have stated I will not sail with them again I will see nothing.

Ok. Plenty of storage. Make sure to bring your own shampoo and conditioner, there is only the pump style for body and hair in the bathroom. It reeks havoc on my hair. My sister had 6048 and it had an annoying creaking throughout the cruise. Earplugs were offered. 6048 had a weird shower curtain that was 2 inches too short and would flood the bathroom. Room attendant was very nice.

Port Reviews

Seville

Flamenco tavern was fun with amazing dancers. The actual tour part was pretty lame.

Lisbon

Booked a tour / ride with a tuk tuk operator. It was 47 degrees celsius that day, otherwise probably would have walked. Our driver was knowledgeable so it was well worth it.

Porto (Leixoes)

An expensive ride into Oporto. We should have taken a taxi since there was four of us.

La Rochelle-La Pallice

Very pretty French town. A free shuttle was provided into town by the town.

Liverpool

Enjoyed the tour and the guide. Liverpool is really nice.

Find a Magellan Cruise