3. Celebrity Silhouette
I have a severely disabled child and booked this last minute ( June ) as it was the only cruise available these school hols with a disabled cabin. I booked 2 cabins the first for me and my 2 boys aged 13 and 14 one of whom is disabled and the second for my eldest girl age 18. Both were balcony cabins and lovely. They were well appointed and clean and up to date. The disabled cabin had automatic door opening which was great when exiting the room but a problem when entering as the door was shutting before I got the wheelchair in. THere are still no sockets near the bed which means having to have extension cords accross the floor at night when using a feeding pump. the accessto the balcony was great and a ramp provided. There was plenty of room for the wheelchair on the balcony. Dining- We ate in the main dining room and ocean view buffet every day bar one when we went in the Tuscan.The staff in the main dining room were wonderful In particular the waiters Hayden and Erik and the sommelier Rosa. The maitrre di Meno was also wonderful and they made a real effort to be nice and welcoming to my disabled son who ended up with us quite a few times due to problems with Kids club. They did little magic tricks and made it fun when bearing in mind he can't eat and is tube fed sitting through a meal can be boring.The food was fine and the choice ok so we didn't feel the need to eat at speciality restaurants. Entetainment- On the whole very good but absolutely nothing for children on most ships there is at least a kids early evening disco and some sort of child freindly act .On this ship there was nothing In addition the kids club was bad so much so that after a week Ihad a meeting with guest relations after which things improved, I judge this against P and O , Royal Caribean and Cunard where my disabled son has complained when he couldn't go in and had to come on shore or come out as staff were having breaks. My son cannot speak but even so it was obvious things were not good. I went twice in the first 2 days and found him sat alone in an empty kids room when I asked Why? I was told the other kids had gone on a scavenger hunt I asked why he hadn't and was told that wasn't something staff would do. So my child who is quadriplegic and can't speak or even move his chair himself was left sat alone! THe kids club shuts at 10pm and we were on second sitting for evening meal we were not getting entree's until 9.40pm and so on the third day I was by my watch 4 mins late though I was greeted by the demand 'Where have you been we shut at 10pm and it is now 9 mins past 10 . You will be charged and if you want us to look after your child after 10pm you must book 24hours in advance.' Needless to say he did not go for the next few days in the evening then He agreed to go in for 30mins one morning I took him up at 11.30am and was told they only had a couple of kids so they had sent them in to the teen section and I could go look for them or my son could stay with them for lunch and I could pay. Needless to say he didn't ( my son has delayed development so was in the 9-12 age group) It was after this I had a meeting with guest relations and it is fair to say tings did improve but from talking to other passengers my experience was not unusual. FRom the night I was late my son chose to stay with us and if he did go it was for about and hour then we would go and fetch him between starter and main course so we weren't late . ( no mean feat when you realise the dining room is the furthest point aft on deck 3 and kids club the furthest poit forward on deck 15 and 2 out of 4 lifts don't even go to deck 15.) So I say again DON'T GO WITH CELEBRITY IF YOU HAVE KIDS Excursions- Very poor to non existant if wheelchair freindly required Service- THroughout the ship with the exception of kids club the staf are freindly helpful and couteous at all times the best I have come accross so it is a great pity I could not cruise with them again but sorry guys the kids club is a deal breaker for me .

Brilliant if you don't have children otherwise steer clear

Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by jpmccabe86

• Sail Date: August 2018
  • Destination: Europe
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Veranda

Excursions- Very poor to non existant if wheelchair freindly required

jpmccabe86’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 10 to 12
Ages 13 to 15
Get Celebrity Silhouette price drops

Deluxe Veranda
Cabin 2A 1641
very good though need to be able to disable the automatic door opening the steward was great.
Sunrise Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins