3. Adventure of the Seas
This cruise was chosen by a family member and we all decided to go as a family. Embarkation: Embarkation at Cape Liberty Cruise Port in Bayonne, NJ went fast and smoothly; however, we had priority boarding due to our Royal Caribbean Crown and Anchor Society level along with handicap boarding assistance. Directions to the Cape Liberty Cruise Port is available on their website along with details on parking and parking fees. As we drove up to the port we followed the line of vehicles and were directed to a numbered spot to drop-off checked baggage. Once our bags were checked, my passengers entered the cruise port building and I was able to park in the parking garage next to the cruise port building. Note if you don’t get there early the parking garage may be full and you’ll be directed to open, overflow parking lots unless you have a handicap hang-tag. The cruise port opens at 10:30 am for passengers to begin boarding. You can arrive earlier than your check-in time if it’s later than 10:30 am. As of August 2018, parking for a 7-night cruise cost $140.00. I packed a 6 pack of water. The water bottles were about 16.9 ounces each and I kept them wrapped in the wrap I bought them in. I had no issues bringing them onboard in unlocked, checked luggage. (Six bottles of Evian water were available onboard for $15.00 at the bar, but didn’t include delivery to your room. Beforehand the cruise line wanted $40 to have 6 bottles of water delivered to your stateroom.) The only issue we had was that we had to have our pictures taken again even though we submitted pictures during the online check-in process. The pictures uploaded side-ways, so we had to have them re-taken. Accommodations: I stayed in an aft-facing, oceanview balcony on the 9th deck. The rooms seem smaller than on the Oasis class ships, but they’ve been recently refurbished and look pretty good. There was plenty of storage in the cabin and the closet was almost a walk-in closet with upper and available lower hanging rods and shelves along one of the sides. The bathroom space was okay, but the shower was a little small. However, the shower had sliding oval doors, no curtain. There were shelves behind one of the mirror portions surrounding the sink and a shelf below the sink. Gentle bar soap was provided. Combination shampoo/conditioner was provided in the shower. There was an outlet for shavers in the ceiling of the sink surround. The room itself had a long desk/vanity area with lots of storage shelves and drawers, a tv and refrigerator. The refrigerator was empty already when we got onboard, so there was no need to request that it be emptied. Most of the electrical outlets were along the wall between the vanity mirror and desk. I purchased a night-light/USB charger at 5 and Below which worked well in one of the vanity outlets. I don’t believe there were any outlets near the bed. There was a full-length mirror across from the vanity between the bathroom and sofa. The room contained two twin beds, a couch that I don’t believe converted into a bed and a chair. The balcony was larger than a standard balcony on the ship. It was triangular and had one lounger, two chairs and a table. Overall, the room was the perfect size for a couple. Dining: We mainly ate breakfast in the Main Dining Room. All the breakfast food I tried there was really good. They even had a buffet set-up there, even on departure day. We ate in the Windjammer twice for breakfast. It was a little crowded, but there were no lines to get in. The food was good there as well. I just wish they had an Asian food section. We mainly ate lunch in the Windjammer or on the Promenade. We ate lunch in the Main Dining Room once. All the food was good. I liked being able to get a hamburger and fries in the Windjammer and order a can of Coke to go with it, with no hassle about buying a drink package. They even provided a glass of ice with my Coke. The pizza on the Promenade was excellent. It wasn’t greasy at all. I also got a medium, chocolate chip cookie dough waffle cone at Ben & Jerry’s on the Promenade. The Ben & Jerry’s location is perfect and the waffle cone was so good. We ate dinner in the main dining room. The food in the dining room ranged from okay to excellent and the waiters went out of their way to make the dining experience memorable. When we first arrived onboard the food was okay, but improved greatly. We were able to order salmon, baked potato and mixed vegetables a day ahead of time for dinner. So, don’t be afraid to let your wait staff know what food you like. They will probably be able to accommodate your request. Onboard Activities: There was a rock-climbing wall, two water slides and a wave rider along with other activities. I didn’t do any of these activities though. I chilled during sea days and had excursions planned for every port. I’m going to lump the photos in with onboard activities because, again, it definitely sucked up a lot of our time. I purchased a 15 prints package online beforehand and put it on my mother’s room. My mother also purchased a photo-book. First, the refurbishment added touch-screen kiosks throughout the photo area which worked well. We did need assistance finding photos we knew were missing from our accounts, but there is a photo-finder menu option on the kiosks. Now there was an issue with printing the 15 photos from both my account and my mother’s account because we were in separate rooms. But, the photo manager finally agreed to add 7 photos from my cabin to my mother’s cabin. This should have been a no brainer since we had purchased 2 photo products. But, the photo manager wanted to rigidly stick to the policy that pictures from another cabin of adults not in the cabin that the photo package is on can’t be added to the photo package even though I paid for the package. Finally, in the end, they were added. Excursions: The ports of call were Port Canaveral, Florida; Coco Cay, Royal Caribbean’s private island and Nassau, Bahamas. We went to Exploration Tower in Port Canaveral. It’s a kid friendly museum with exhibits and air conditioning. There are about 6 floors and an elevator for those with mobility issues. There’s a gift shop and café on the first floor. (I got an ice cream bar at the café.) I rented a beach bungalow ahead of time for the day in Coco Cay. The bungalow was nice and provided shade. The bungalow area was pretty quiet. It came with two mat floats and a cooler of 4 Evian bottled waters. Towels were available from the concierge desk. I went snorkeling off of the beach, swimming and used a blow-up float that I brought. You can order lunch ahead of time to be delivered to your bungalow. Lunch was good and you could order more food at the concierge desk. Overall, the beach bungalow was great. We went to Atlantis at Nassau and did the Atlantis Aquaventure. Atlantis is beautiful, clean and the lazy river (that’s not so lazy) and water slides were amazing. I normally don’t like public pools and water slides, but I love Atlantis. Just know that the property is huge, so there’s a lot of walking to get to the water slides and lazy river. I got over 18,000 steps the day I went. I went to the spa on one of the sea days and used the complimentary steam room. The steam room and sauna are complimentary on Adventure of the Seas, which is not normally the case on Royal Caribbean’s ships. The steam room and sauna are located in the locker rooms on the 11th deck as you’re going into the gym. Don’t let locker room fool you. The area is very nice with lockers, a bathroom and showers. Locker keys are available on the 12th deck just above. There’s a staircase in the spa/gym area that you can use to go between the 2 floors. My only complaint is that the steam room smelled liked onions. It really needed some eucalyptus scent. Note that the doors to the showers are clear. Debarkation: Getting off the ship was pretty orderly. Breakfast was available in the Windjammer and the Main Dining Room at specified times. The full breakfast menu and a buffet were available in the Main Dining Room even though it was debarkation day. Our debarkation number was called on-time, so the process went fast. (Again, I have priority debarkation due to my loyalty level.) I had to stand in line for a porter. I think I waited about 15 minutes. But, once we got a porter, the process sped up again. The porter told us how the process worked and where to pull-up the vehicle in the parking garage to load up. The porter was very helpful. As usual, Royal Caribbean provides a very good cruise experience. The shows do need to be updated on this ship. They were still the singing and dancing numbers that I haven’t seen in years. There was a comedian and hypnotist. However, I’m used to juggling, acrobatics, Cirque de Soleil type shows and plays. But, the stage on the ship is small. The Ice Show was very good. Get there early in order to get a seat. Boleros bar was really good. Normally the bars on ships can be too loud and boisterous for me, except for the Champagne Bar. But, the Champagne Bar normally can’t serve frozen drinks. But, Boleros normally had a live performance every afternoon/evening, wasn’t too packed and I never had to wait long to order and get a drink. The bartenders were excellent. Everything I ordered tasted good. The people there were normally dancing and having a good time. There would even be children there early in the evening (of course dancing with their family members, not drinking). Note karaoke night is packed. The Adventure of the Seas is a nice ship to travel to the Bahamas on and has more activities than you will probably be able to do.

Nice Ship to Travel to the Bahamas On

Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by Cruise RL

• Sail Date: August 2018
  • Destination: Bahamas
  • Cabin Type: Ocean View Balcony
This cruise was chosen by a family member and we all decided to go as a family.

Cruise RL’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas price drops

Ocean View Balcony
Cabin 6D 9390
I stayed in an aft-facing, oceanview balcony on the 9th deck. The rooms seem smaller than on the Oasis class ships, but they’ve been recently refurbished and look pretty good. There was plenty of storage in the cabin and the closet was almost a walk-in closet with upper and available lower hanging rods and shelves along one of the sides. The bathroom space was okay, but the shower was a little small. However, the shower had sliding oval doors, no curtain. There were shelves behind one of the mirror potions surrounding the sink and a shelf below the sink. Gentle bar soap was provided. Combination shampoo/conditioner was provided in the shower. There was an outlet for shavers in the ceiling of the sink surround.
Deck 10 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Atlantis Resort
    View All 673 Atlantis Resort Reviews
  • Perfect Day at CocoCay
    View All 12,638 Perfect Day at CocoCay Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Perfect Day at CocoCay Cruise Port Review
  • Port Canaveral (Orlando)
    We grabbed a taxi for 3 people, which was $16 roundtrip as of August 2018 and bought tickets to Exploration Tower when we arrived. It’s a kid friendly museum with exhibits and air conditioning. There are about 6 floors and an elevator for those with mobility issues. There’s a gift shop and café on the first floor. (I got an ice cream bar at the café.)
    View All 12,638 Port Canaveral (Orlando) Cruise Port Reviews