3. Harmony of the Seas
My mom lives in South Florida between Port Everglades and Port Miami and we have done several fun short cruises to the Bahamas and Royal Caribbean was our favorite one. My 12 year old son was obsessed with doing Harmony of the Seas and I was curious to try it for a full week so we were off to vacation this summer. I went with my husband, mom, and my 9 and 12 year old. The quality of the ship and service for families was very impressive. The boat was packed with families traveling together from all over the world having a good time. The food was surprisingly very good and plentiful. (Wonderland and Izumi are very special and not to be missed!) My kids loved the all you can eat ice cream and pizza. I was happy coffee was at hand everywhere and it was good. The entertainment was diverse and fun. My husband and I would go to the casino and the jazz club. My mom, my kids and I enjoyed the productions. The embarkation/debarkation was impressively smooth. The staff at all levels were top notch. The ship for the sheer size was spotless. We rented two adjacent ocean view balcony rooms - one for my mom and my kids and one for my husband and I. The beds were comfy and the bathroom, despite being compact was very well designed and comfortable. My kids had the time of their lives - watersliding, arcading, zip-lining, and swimming. I should have spent more time in the solarium - the crowds/noise got to me, but this is a personal thing and not to knock the cruise line - they are the best at what they do for this type of cruise. I learned about myself during this vacation - I'm a shorter cruise girl I think. I like the boat for the boat and felt cheated at excursions because I wanted more time in Jamaica and Cozumel to do more. In a way, I'd be happier if we just went to places like Labadee so we can get off the boat and hang on the beach for a few hours each day. Let's call it like it is - we weren't going to Jamaica - we were getting off the boat in Jamaica and getting a tour through a glass window from heavily screened personnel. The port towns seemed eerily similar. IMPORTANT THINGS TO NOTE • Plan this cruise vacation like you are planning a Disney vacation. Do not wait until you are on the boat to book a specialty restaurant reservation, a spa appointment, or a my time dining experience. Otherwise you will not get your ideal time or a spot if at all. I was so glad that I spent a few hours with my son planning out our trip ahead of time. We were able to see all shows, dine at Wonderland and Izumi. The sheer size of the ship forbids spontaneous decision making. We ate dinner at 5:30 PM often because we made that mistake. The spa was gorgeous but I missed out on a treatment because I attempted to book an appointment the first day. The only thing you can decide fairly last minute are excursions as they create additional ones to meet demand. We went on a later day excursion in Cozumel due to this which was wonderful as we aren't morning people. • I hope you don't mind crowds. This boat was JAMMED. Breakfast at Windjammer was defensive driving. Finding a table could be stressful - don't come too hungry :). Dinner was much better. You will wait in line for the hot food at Windjammer for a long time. It's good, but you'll wait. The wait for the BBQ Buffet lunch at Labadee was 20-30 minutes (those ribs though! yumm). Spring for specialty restaurant reservations and a balcony room to have piece of mind. That saved us. I had to have quiet time in my room for those few hours between day activities & dinner. The pool area was unbearable. On the first two days at sea it was impossible to get a chair in the shade. I was kicked in the head inside the pool by so many normal kids just trying to swim. I couldn't fault them so I wound up in the spa pool mostly. This boat desperately needs another pool deck. * Don't make the same mistake my family made: Pack long pants and closed toe shoes - we had to cancel our behind the scenes tour because we didn't bring those. Formal night is really formal on this boat. We felt underdressed. Also, the workout facilities are gorgeous - bring workout clothes. You'll also need long pants and socks to ice skate + socks to rock climb.

The ideal family cruise if you don't mind crowds

Harmony of the Seas Cruise Review by nycfamily