3. Koningsdam
We sailed on the 21 day Midnight Sun and Viking Saga cruise and chose this to try the ship and also for the itinerary. The ports of call were all great, weather was brilliant most of the time and the staff were very friendly and hard working as always. Our cabin attendants were excellent and I didn’t realise that they also look after the luggage on embarkation and disembarkation. The barista, Caryl, in the explorations cafe in the crows nest was super excellent and always remembered our special orders, and would greet all her regular customers by name. That was fantastic. I preferred my coffee there than at the Dutch Cafe, although that is an excellent addition as an alternative cafe. On our cruise the explorations cafe closed at 8pm which was a shame as we usually enjoy coffee there in the in crows nest after dinner, so we would have to eat early on a night if that was our plan. The Dutch cafe served coffee until about 10pm and the apple cake there is excellent. It was also very busy most of the day and was a nice place to sit with coffee and cake. Try the Koningsball which is like a huge round chocolate eclair filled with cream. Overall it was an excellent cruise, it is just the small things that have changed that are annoying. Such as happy hour is now buy one and the second drink is $2. It used to be buy one get one free, then buy one next one $1. There is no real butter in the MDR or the Pinnacle Grill. You get three swirls of something near to whipped cream. I asked the dining room steward one night and he said the chef preferred to serve this, which is butter mixed with cream then whipped. It was like putting sweet cream on your bread so we ended up asking for real butter each time, and they gladly got some. I don’t know why they would bother mucking around with real butter like that, quite a waste of time really as it doesn’t enhance the flavour and surely butter isn’t that expensive you have to mix it with other things! We had a lighting and air conditioning issue in our cabin, and both were fixed within hours of reporting them, with a follow up call. They are finally using technology onboard by use of an app to view your account, the daily onboard activity and book dining and shore excursions. There’s also a chat feature with another guest you can use apparently. This is all free and I found it very user friendly. Also the tv and movie offering in your cabin is a lot better too. However they do not record any presentations and talks such as the EXC guide or Ask the Captain talk to replay in your cabin which they need to do because often they were so popular seats in the showroom filled up really quickly. I was disappointed in the main entertainment as it was supposed to be better. The guest artists included an out dated comedian, two “magicians” - card tricks and number mind games don’t really work with a larger audience and are not that exciting any more. The guest singers were OK. Only saw the ships singers and dancers in a show for about 15 minutes and it was good. BB King was good and the Lincoln art centre performances were excellent and extremely popular. I wish they made use of the piano bar a lot more in the Billboard lounge . There was a nice section there of help yourself bar snacks such as hummus, pita chips, crudités, mixed nuts etc. Lido was excellent for food and service. The New York pizza place only does whole pizzas which is a shame as they could easily have them by the slice like it used to be so if you fancy pizza you’d have to eat the whole thing or find someone to share with !

21 day Midnight Sun & Viking Saga cruise - great !

Koningsdam Cruise Review by luv2cruisenz

• Sail Date: June 2018
  • Destination: Baltic Sea
  • Cabin Type: Large or Standard Interior Stateroom

luv2cruisenz’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Koningsdam price drops

Large or Standard Interior Stateroom
Cabin I 4104
Excellent use of space in this cabin, I4104, as it was very roomy for an inside . There was more than enough storage space for the two of us and plenty for three as it is a triple room. It had a three seater sofa for the 3rd person if you had one, we didn’t. USB charging port and American plug by the bed which was great, bedside cabinet with two drawers , and it also had an excellent flexible reading light on both sides of the very comfortable bed. There was a makeup mirror and hair dryer provided, and 2 x power points on the main desk with both USA and Europe power plug on each. Bathroom was standard however the shower was roomy lengthwise , with a foot bar and awesome water pressure. Very roomy cabin and would not hesitate to book this again.
Navigation Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins