3. Norwegian Epic
I chose this cruise because of the ports. I've always wanted to visit Rome and this provided the opportunity, and then some. My only disappointment was that Greece was not one of the ports of call. We were told that we could check in as early as noon, so we left our hotel at check-out time and took a taxi to the port. We arrived around 1 and were in our room about an hour later. This gave us a chance to check out the buffet and ship while waiting for our luggage to be delivered to the room. Our room was nice. It was small, but my husband and I did not find ourselves tripping over each other. I worried about our room being noisy because we were next to the steward's closet, but it was fine. We were out of the room most of the time and when we returned, we were too tired to notice anything. We took the time to book activities/shows for the week and found lots more activities than listed online. We booked the Beatles show for the first night and had a great time. Day 1- at sea Took the time to unpack, explore the ship and relax. Also reserved dinner at the Manhattan Room and a show for that night. The Manhattan Room was a nice experience. Food was good and arrived in decent time. Day 2 - Naples When we left the ship, there were lots of people offering taxi service and it was expensive. After walking a little further down the dock, we saw a bus tour company that took us to Pompeii for about 15 euros/each. The trip to Pompeii was relaxing. Views of farmlands and the ocean. Something I am not accustomed to seeing. We did not purchase tickets ahead of time to get into Pompeii to see the ruins, but the line was very short, so there was no problem. We also did not purchase a tour, but regretted that decision. We walked around the entire city, but had no clue about the historical sites aside from reading placards. I think we logged about 18,000 steps though. Upon returning to Naples, we walked around the city and had pizza in a small restaurant. Day 3 - Rome This is the day I looked most forward to. I planned to see the Colosseum, Vatican, Spanish steps, Trevi Fountain and anything else I could see. First of all, the tourism industry was on strike and our bus ride into Rome was canceled. We took the train into Rome and used Google map on our cellphone to find the Colosseum. I purchased tickets online prior to the trip, so getting inside was easy. I purchased a device that was sort of an electronic tour. The audio portion was helpful, but the video was a waste of time because it was too bright outside to see the screen. After enjoying splendor of the Colosseum, we left to find the other sites. I read reviews prior that said it was a waste of time to do the tours because the buses did not spend enough time at the sites, so we opted to find them ourselves. However, we found it difficult to do so, because we just weren't asking the right people. There was a scab-tour company doing bus tours, but they wouldn't give any information aside from the price of their tours. We ended going in the wrong direction and never made it to any of the other sites. We did stumble across a military museum, but that was NOT what I wanted to see. By the time we turned around, it was time to head back. We had to run to catch the train back to Civitavecchia. We caught the train but it had about five delays. We had to run to get the shuttle back to the ship and made it with maybe five minutes to spare. The shuttle driver did not move and were were in full panic until we saw several groups of people running toward the bus. It turned out that many other cruise mates were on that train and were also late. It was a stressful, tiring and disappointing day. After talking to a cruise mate, I discovered that we needed to get off the train earlier for Vatican City. After leaving the Colosseum, we needed to walk in the opposite direction to see the other sites. Sigh ... Day 4 - Livorno Took a train to Pisa with a shipmate who knew how to get around. It was a long walk from the train station, but pretty straight forward. We made it there and walked around for a few hours. We were going to go to Florence, but decided to just hang around Livorno for the last couple of hours and do some shopping. It was a fun day. Day 5- Cannes Cannes was beautiful. We took a ferry from the boat and just walked around sight seeing. We did not stray very far from the waterfront where the ferries were located. Walking around, we saw a beautiful cathedral, the location of the Cannes Film Festival and some great sites. The area has shopping for the ultra rich and for everyone else. We found nice shops that had great prices. It was a great experience and an overall great day. There were some ship mates who took taxis to drive along the coast and almost did not make it back in time. Day 6 - Palma de Majorca I didn't know what to expect from this stop, but it was a wonderful city. The first thing you when you go ashore is a castle. It was stunning. There was a flea market of sorts set up in the area. I'm not sure if it was for locals or because of the cruise ship. We spent hours walking around the city and saw lots of cool museums, cathedrals and other interesting sites. It was another great day. We got back to the ship early enough to participate in some activities, pack and have dinner. Day 7- Barcelona We arrived in Barcelona around 7 am and had to leave the ship by 9. It was bittersweet because we missed the ship, but looked forward to staying overnight in Barcelona. Because we had to leave the ship by 9, we got to spend more time in Barcelona. Our hotel was located right on La Rambla and we got to see lots of the city. Our flight did not leave until about 10:45 PM, the following day, so we got about 2 days of sightseeing. All passengers were to report to the ship between 6-6:30. This gave plenty of time to explore the ports of call and enjoy the activities on the ship before retiring for the night. The ship was quite full, but we were able to get through buffet lines very quickly. There were children on the ship, but they were busy with their own activities. I would definitely go on this particular cruise again.

Great experience!