Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review
1,922 Reviews

Not family friendly. Smoking everywhere.

Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by Ummed

• Sail Date: May 2018
  • Destination: the British Isles & Western Europe
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Veranda 2A

We cruised with Celebrity May 28 - June 7 on Celebrity Eclipse to Ireland, Iceland and Shetland. This was our 3rd cruise with Celebrity and was very disappointed with the service. Unfortunately there were a lot of sea days which made the bad service feel even worse.

This cruise was not kid friendly at all. I have a 6 year old son who travelled with us.

First of all, the weather was 30 degrees outside so not possible to swim in the regular pool so I asked the manager, Ernaud, at the Solarium pool what time the family hours were as there was no sign. He told me 5pm. During our Alaska cruise on the Solstice last summer, the family hours were clearly posted at the pool with multiple signs, but not on the Eclipse. We arrived at 5:45pm and immediately after we got into the pool, one of the pool attendants told us we had to get out of the pool as the family hours were 6pm. There were only 2 other people swimming in the pool at the time. I told him that the manager, Ernaud, told us that it was 5pm and he said that we had to get approval from customer relations if we wanted to swim. So we got out of the pool in the freezing weather and my son was very upset that he wasn't able to swim. On the way out, we ran into the pool supervisor, Fard, and I explained the situation, and he also refused to let us use the pool.

The next morning, since there was nothing my son could do to burn off energy as it was freezing outside, we went to the gym. Again, as soon as my son and I got on the treadmills, we were told that kids were not allowed in the gym. No sign anywhere stating this.

Furthermore, I upgraded my son's drink package to non alcoholic premium package so my son could get a smoothie every morning. My husband tried to order a smoothie for my son before he picked him up from the kids club and Singh stated he could not do this, and my husband told him ok he would get my son from the kids club, but by the time he came back down, the smoothie bar was closed. He should have informed my husband they were closing after my husband said this instead of wasting his time.

My husband told me this and I couldn't believe it, so the next day, we went to the smoothie bar again to get a smoothie for our son. Singh was there and again refused to make a smoothie. I asked to speak the the manager, Ernaud, who also said this was the policy that a 6 year old must order his own smoothie. So I said I wanted to speak to another manager, Daniele, who took 15 minutes to arrive and said that was correct, my 6 year old son who can not see over the counter has to order his own smoothie. By then, we were late for our shore excursion and they were closing, so we left.

Also, there was smoking on the pool deck and upstairs on the lawn. It seems like anytime we went outdoors we were bombarded with smokers.I had to walk my son to the kids club a different route to avoid him inhaling smoke.

To relieve some of the stress of being on the ship, I had a very expensive massage at the Canyon ranch spa. Not only was it the worst massage that I ever had, it was supposed to be 90 minutes and due to all the upselling of products I ended up with only a 60 minute massage.

On a positive note, Suardika, was the best waiter we ever had and somewhat compensated for the bad service on the rest of the ship.

I often told friends and family that Celebrity was the best cruise line and the service was excellent, but this trip was not up to the normal Celebrity standards. It seems like each subsequent cruise that we take the prices go up, but the value, quality and the service has been going down.

Ummed's Full Rating Summary