3. Celebrity Eclipse
I work in social work which is stressful and booked this cruise after moving to Wales as both husband and myself needed a break after a stressful eighteen months refurbishing house and his chainsaw accident. This cruise was likely to be the last we will all share together, so we wanted something special. Having sailed with Celebrity previously we were eager to return to "Eclipse" for her trip to the Western Med in September 17. Unfortunately, it did not match my expectations. As the title of my review suggests, standards have definitely slipped since our last cruise with Celebrity in key areas, giving the impression that the company bottom line is more important than keeping its passengers happy. The cabin was clean and well-kept by the stewards as big as anything we've had before with the balcony. However, who designed the hand wash basin with that tap directly over the middle of the sink? You could not wash your face without banging your head on the tap. Not really any issues with soot from the ships funnels, other than a few minor specks. Throughout the ship very annoying, repetitive, voiceless music was heard. We were ashore for less than 16% of the total length of the Cruise, so a lot of the time is spent on deck, "sardined" on sunbeds, or learning to line dance. Security staff were quite engaging and welcoming however - even to the point of addressing passengers by name and welcoming them "home", nice touch. Tour guide on Lanzarote tour arrogant and unhelpful in reference to photo of camel ride - refused to take sterling so lost out on memento having not been advised before that this may be needed to purchase photo. Gibraltar – just Britain with heat! I would give the nightly entertainment a grade of C. The ship’s house band The Spitfires (they also went by another name which I am unable to mention on this forum) were undoubtedly the WORST set of musicians I have ever heard on any cruise ship I have sailed on. They somehow got progressively worse over the 14 days. Once a family we met had to leave poolside at 3.00pm, get off the ship and walk around Lisbon to avoid hearing them! As well as being terrible musicians, their general demeanour and appearance was appalling. The lead singer insisted on wearing a less than flattering toweling dress while singing poolside, which looked as if she just nicked a few of the many towels available poolside and wrapped herself in them. I did like one of the comedians. I think Cee Cee was his name. Although his R rated show should have been an X. I couldn't imagine taking my 18 year old daughter in there. The crockery in the Ocean View buffet is very heavy indeed. You may also be unlucky enough to get a plate that has a protruding ridge on the underside causing your plate to spin every time you try to cut your food. The dining chairs are extremely heavy and virtually impossible to position near to the table without some help from the waiters who I fear will suffer with back problems later! Choice of meals poor throughout the 14 days and root vegetables over this period were limited to carrots potatoes with beans as an addition. Chef must have left turnip, swede, parsnip, beetroot, red and green cabbage, mange tout at Southampton. We couldn't fail to notice that the clientele was different from our previous Celebrity cruises: more tattoos and football shirts. Despite the fantastic ship, it often felt like Butlins-on-the-high-seas, but at fancy prices. Dress rules were not enforced within the for-fee restaurants, particularly Murano, where we celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary. I do not expect to see a man dressed like a UK coach driver sitting in my vicinity when I have made the effort to dress appropriately. Wives please take note: if you make the effort to wear a nice dress, have your hair and nails done, ensure your partner does not look like he is dressed for a visit to a garden centre. And are football shirts really smart casual? I declined the automatic gratuities before sailing planning to do my own. It made no difference. The gratuities were added to my account anyway. A disappointing cruise, and food for thought about booking with Celebrity in the future, particularly if they can't make up their minds about the "formal" evenings: it's quite simple: black tie or not - there is no middle ground. The tag Celebrity use of "Modern Luxury" is sadly no longer the case!

Celebrity Eclipse in Decline