3. Navigator of the Seas
The Ship... Navigator of the Seas/ Balcony Stateroom. A cruise of two halves. One bit good, the other not so good. Not the first time I have sailed on Royal Caribbean but my first time on Navigator. Overall our cruise was good and we did have a great time in all the ports we visited but I was very disappointed in the condition of the ship. Navigator is looking very old and tired and is in need of updating. Windjammer in particular was in a bad way. Carpets were dirty, stained and everything is sticky and the aft windows were filthy. Carpet on stateroom corridors was also dirty and stained. Sofas and chairs in the R Bar were saggy and uncomfortable to sit on. Too many things to mention but this is the general state of things throughout the ship. State room - this is not a criticism of the cleanliness and our room attendant kept it spotless but the room décor, fixtures and fittings in the bathroom were all in need of some tlc. The toilet basin was cracked and the bathroom vanity top was chipped in several places. Chrome on the taps had lost it's sparkle and was discoloured and the mirrors were looking old and tatty round the edges. The balcony was in need of painting - rust everywhere and big flecks of paint were dropping off onto the balcony floor on a daily basis. On deck the deckchairs were the very old, the plastic strip with gaps type - newer much nicer chairs were stacked at the back - unused. The state the ship was in was not good and I am very disappointed and not something I would expect from Royal Caribbean. This cruise was much anticipated, it was not cheap, we had saved up for a long time for this and were really looking forward to a bit of luxury and pampering. The pampering part was there in abundance as it always is on a Royal Caribbean Cruise but the luxury was very much lacking. I have never sailed on any other cruise line and have always been loyal to Royal but after this I am seriously looking towards other lines. I read somewhere that Navigator was once the biggest cruise ship in the world and there is a sadness I feel about that when I think about the state it is in today. It must have been a wow in it's day but there is nothing wow about it now. I have sailed on Royal Caribbean ships that are older than this and none of them were anyway near in such a bad state of repair. I am returned home now feeling very disappointed and let down. This Royal Caribbean cruise most definitely did not match the hype. Time for Royal Caribbean to stop treating it's UK customers like second class citizens with these old ships - they need to send a new ship to Southampton - and soon. People will walk - there are plenty of new alternatives out there and going by comments of our fellow cruisers on this particular cruise it will happen soon if they continue to send us these tired old ships. The staff clearly love this ship and are loyal to it. Many of them have been onboard for years and their professionalism and 'happy to work here' shine through as they go about their jobs. Without them - this cruise would have been a total washout for me. Wine and Dining... Food was good and hot in both Windjammer and Main Dining Room. Service was excellent and the staff in both were friendly, attentive and very professional. Wine List … wine is my drink of choice. Booked and paid for the all inclusive drinks package so I was a bit worried I wouldn't like the choice they had to offer. It took a few tries but I finally tracked down a nice French one in the Windjammer of all places. Also found it in the Schooner Bar. Worth hunting for and I was happy in the end! The Sauvignon Blanc on offer in the promenade bars are mainly Californian/New Zealand. Kim Crawford is the one they tend to push if you ask for a Sauvignon Blanc which I don't like at all. Just a personal choice though - I think the wine list does cater for the majority of folk. And will somebody please buy the R Bar a blender? Whoever heard of a cocktail bar without one? Pina Colada on the rocks just doesn't work! Entertainment and Activities... Fabulous. Every single show we went to in the theatre was amazing. The acts were top class - from opera to pop, West End to TV, comedians, magician, hypnotist - the list goes on. Bobby Davro one night. Ice show was amazing. Loved the themed parades on Royal Promenade especially the 80's one. Guy playing the piano in the Schooner Bar was fab. Cruise Director Marc Walker was lovely and always had time to say hello. Service... Also fabulous. I haven't a bad word to say about anything. Service is what Royal Caribbean does best and why it has been my cruise line of choice over the years. Ports and Shore Excursions … Southampton Drove to Southampton the day before our sailing. Stayed at the Grand Harbour Hotel and parked our car at ABP for the duration of our cruise. We self-disembarked at the end of the cruise and walked straight off the ship and were on our way home by 7am. Very easy. Ports and Shore Excursions... Not listing all the ports because for mainland Spain we did our own thing, visiting family and friends. Palma, Majorca We booked the Royal Caribbean Catamaran Experience. A coach took us the short 5 mins ride to the harbour. Food (sandwiches) and water were provided but beer etc was extra cost. We sailed to and stopped in two locations where we were able to swim, snorkel (equipment provided) and sunbathe. It was well organised and something different to the usual cruise excursion. Well worth doing this excursion and good value. I think it lasted for around 3-4 hours. If you want do something a little different than the usual coach trip, then I would recommend it. Hint... get to the nets as soon as you get on if you want a good quiet spot to sunbathe - the seats may be shaded but the nearby speakers play music way too loud. Gibraltar We walked to the main square (about 15-20 mins walk) and queued for a tour taxi to take us up the rock. We had a very long wait because there was another cruise ship in port that day and because they docked earlier than us - they took all the taxis. By the time we'd got to the taxi rank all the tour taxis were gone so we had to wait for their return. The first batch of taxis started returning around lunch time. My advice is to check if there are any other ships in port the day you are there - if there are you may be in for a long wait in a very long queue! Some people gave up queuing and took a regular cab to the cable car to take them up the rock but we later found out that the queues for the cable car were even longer so I think we made the best decision to stay put and wait. Our tour took us to St Michael's Cave, the Great Siege Tunnels and to see the monkeys. The majority of taxis carry 8 -10 passengers so be prepared to share with others waiting. We paid him £30 each for adult and half price for children. This fare included entrance fees. Tours last about 2 - 3 hours. Well worth the money (and wait!). Hint … there are 2 taxi queues in the main square. Regular taxis which aren't licenced to go up and tour taxis which are. Guess which one had the longest queue?! Lisbon - amazing city. Ship docks just a few minutes' walk from the main square. Lots to see and do. Unfortunately, we arrived during the hottest heatwave ever. It was impossible to spend much time walking round in the heat so sadly we had to give up and go back to the ship to cool down. We have vowed to return one day - when it's colder! Hint... don't go in the middle of a heatwave.

Navigator Mediterranean Adventure 29th July 2018

Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review by livylotte

The Ship...

Navigator of the Seas/ Balcony Stateroom.

A cruise of two halves. One bit good, the other not so good.

Wine and Dining...

Entertainment and Activities...

Service...

Ports and Shore Excursions …

Southampton

Ports and Shore Excursions...

Palma, Majorca

Gibraltar

Hint... don't go in the middle of a heatwave.
livylotte’s Full Rating Summary