3. Carnival Legend
I always wanted to cruise to Alaska. I went on a cruise with my son. Our cruise was from July 31-Aug 7, 2018. Here is my review: I booked an overnight stay in Seattle at the Grand Hyatt - Pine Street on July 30th. We got to the airport and called an Uber to take us to our hotel. I loved the fact that the Sea-Tac airport has a designated area for app based transportation that you can call and get your ride without trying to find your pick up. The check in was smooth and we went to our room. The staff was friendly and hospitable. Our room was clean and the hotel was awesome in itself. Walking distance from the AMC movie theater and mall as well as other shops. EMBARKATION: The next day we ordered another Uber to take us to the Smith Cove Cruise Terminal 91. The ride came very quick. We got to the terminal and it was a smooth transition. I am Platinum with Carnival Cruise Lines so boarding was extremely quick. I would like to add that this cruise made my 11th cruise. The Carnival Legend is the sister ship to the Carnival Pride. I saw some similarities but also some differences. The Legend doesn't have the dive in movies. I didn't like that they didn't advertise the Spa specials like most of the Carnival port day specials are, therefore, I missed my cruise massage ritual. LIDO: One of the additions to the ship dry dock renovations was Guys Burger Joint which is delicious. They had a variety of food, but it didn't seem as much as the Pride. The food was pretty good as always. DINING: We had your time dining and the food was pretty much good as usual. During the times we were in the dining room, there wasn't any dancing with the staff like most carnival cruises have. The did sing happy birthday, anniversary, etc. But our wait staff was great and called you by your name. CABIN: Our room was 7166. I wasn't a connecting room and its an extended balcony with no obstructions. It was clean and ready when we got onboard. My stateroom stewart was Theresa. The only small gripe that I have is that the bathroom light was slow to come on but was eventually fixed when I advised guest services. The remote control didn't work properly. So hopefully by the time someone else get the room, they will complain as much as I did to get a new remote. Anyway, Theresa was very hospitable. SHORE EXCURSIONS: TRACY ARM FJORD: This is a beautiful place. This tour was about 3 hours. We got to see the glacier as well as sea lions, water falls, mountain goats, Ice bergs and even got to experience close up a piece of glacier in the form of a huge hunk of ice that 2 staff members 'ice fished' and brought onboard. The temperature was a bit chilly - Enough for a heavy sweater and hat but not cold like a heavy coat and scarf. It was cloudy but didn't rain which was a good thing especially taking pictures. We were served a sample of sockeye salmon and rhubarb and salmon jelly. The rhubarb jelly was very good - sweet. The Salmon jelly wasn't made from salmon, it was made from berries that looked like salmon eggs which is where they get the name Salmon jelly. It was good too, but I preferred the Rhubarb better. We also was served small hush puppy donuts. On the boat, there was a place to purchase snacks as well as a bathroom. SKAGWAY: This was a very small port. We took the Yukon Scenic Trail tour that was about 5.5 - 6 hours long. It started at 8:00 and we got back to the ship around 2:00. Our guide was name Doug who was very knowledgeable. He was also a photographer that helped take pictures for you at the YUKON and ALASKA signs. It truly helped speed up the process and that everyone got a chance to get a picture in front those signs. We made various stops to take pictures. We stopped for lunch which consisted of Spinach cream and Beef vegetable soups, wraps and sandwiches, rhubarb and banana cream pie as well as cole slaw. The Lunch was amazingly delicious. You need to bring your passport as you do cross the Canadian border. We drove up 3500 feet above sea level mountains and just learned so much about the life of the Gold Rush and history of Alaska. We even got to see a bear. If you love scenery, you'll love this tour! JUNEAU: This was the best tour and highlight of the cruise. Our tour was called VIP Alaska Whales and Rain forest tour. It was about 5 hours or a little more tour. Our tour guide was named Scott Ranger who was phenomenal. He is also a photographer that helped me set my camera to view the whales. He is a marine biologist that really know his stuff. We took a short ride to the rain forest. We split into 2 groups. It didn't rain but there were mosquitos. So I would highly recommend using Off or insect repellent with DEET. We ran across deer and salmon as well as beaver and their liking of the cotton tree. Both groups met up by the Mendenhall Glacier and what a sight. Both groups walked back through the rain forest and Scott explained to us about the nature of the salmon and how it spawns and the life cycle that benefits the baby fish as well as the bear. After we left the rain forest, we took a short ride to the marine terminal to board an observation boat to view the whales. Once we got out to the location where whales are often sighted, we started to see the whales. One in particular was named Sasha that Scott named and explained her history. We learned that whales migrate to Hawaii, then come back to Alaska for food. He also educated us on identifying the flutes or tails of the whales. As we was about to leave, we stopped to view seals laying on a buoy. One of the seals literally swam all the way to the boat as if to say who are you guys...lol...after we got back we ended up going back to the ship and then we ran across beautiful bald eagles. I highly recommend this excursion. Carnival does promise to refund $100 if you don't see any whales. Well there goes my $100 as we did see whales. Beautiful!! KETCHIKAN: This was another small population and port. We got off the port and there were many shops that had great sales. We booked the Lumberjack show. It was about a 1.5 hour long show. It was a fun and interactive show that showed the talent of guys chopping wood. Ketchikan has history to the lumberjack age in Alaska. They also had a lumberjack show with crab feast as well. Wish i had taken that excursion. Anyway, it was a great short visit to Ketchikan. I was told that it always rained in Ketchikan, but the miracle was it wasn't raining and was sunny. I enjoyed this port. VICTORIA, B.C CANADA: We got to this port around 7pm. Was told via announcement that we were waiting for customs to clear. I never heard any announcement subsequently that we were cleared to leave the ship. I wanted to book an excursion to the Buchart Gardens, but I read bad reviews due to the time the ship gets to the port and that it gets dark. When we decided to get off the ship, it was around 8pm. I'm glad I didn't purchase the excursion because I would have been left waiting for them to announce we could get off the ship and everyone was gone by then. It was nothing at this port besides a small gift shop and people standing around waiting to show you around for a ridiculous price. We stopped by the gift shop, purchased a few items and got back on the ship. If you wanted to explore Victoria Canada, you definately had to leave the port. We were only there from 7:30 to 11:pm. My recommendations for any excursions would be to go at your own risk but my curiousity would be for the Buchart Gardens. DEBARKATION: It was a very smooth transition especially when you are Platinum, Diamond or Faster to the Fun. OVERALL: This was a very enjoyable trip. Alaska is a very beautiful place that many want to visit over and over. The cruise season is usually from May-Sept to Alaska. I am considering doing a 15 day cruise to Alaska in the future. My only disappointment was that Carnival finally got my luggage to me almost to the point where I thought they lost or left my luggage. When I got my luggage, the front compartment was completed broken of the zipper and lock. Thankfully, I purchased the Vacation Protection where they will cover your luggage up to $1500. I hope that I gave enough detail to give you an idea of what to do and what to expect. Also, they tell you to pack in layers. My son and I packed, coats, hats/scarves, thermo underwear, etc. We never got to use the heavy coat, scarves, gloves, thermo underwear and umbrella/ponchos. The weather was surprisingly crisp fall like that a heavy sweater and hat would probably do. There were times where you could even wear t-shirts and shorts. Alaska to me was more beautiful than Hawaii.

AWESOME ALASKA CRUISE!!! - CARNIVAL LEGEND

eljay45’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Legend price drops

Extended Balcony
Cabin 8K 7166
Great extended balcony and quiet location with no overhead noise.
Panorama Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins