3. Ruby Princess
I've only been on 8 cruises. I'm certainly not an expert, but the cruise on the Ruby Princess was by far my least favorite. We found some of the staff to be warm and welcoming, but others were surprisingly curt and almost condescending. There were 4 of us traveling, we are self-employed, in customer service and upper management positions. We are polite and courteous to all. On the Ruby Princess, we all experienced being cut off mid-sentence when asking for something with “YES MA’AM or YES SIR”. Some staff even turned and walked away while we were still talking. SPA - We paid $400 to use the thermal suite and it was below par. One day everything worked, another the lights and saunas were broken, another day the saunas were way too hot. I mentioned this to a spa employee who didn't seem to care. I also mentioned it to a ship officer (in white uniform) at the thermal suite and he responded rather exasperated "YES, we're going to fix it just for you". Two ladies at the thermal spa at the same time as me left and said they were going to complain and get a refund. SANCTUARY - We always look forward to relaxing in the serenity area of the ship, but the Ruby Princess charges $20 to use it on a regular day and $60 on the day we cruised Glacier Bay? It was a ghost town! ROOM - Our steward was great about cleaning our room and did a great job. However, the bathroom smelled like urine from the time we boarded the ship. I don’t think it was from it being unclean, more likely urine underneath the surface. My sister came into our room and smelled it right when she walked in also. The beds and pillows in our stateroom on were extremely comfortable. I read that Princess is replacing them on all their ships. Great call! INTERNET - We purchased 240 of internet which worked intermittently. I had to go to the internet café three times to get it resolved. I was told and heard them telling other people they were having trouble with the internet and I asked and was issued credit. Unfortunately, this could only be resolved when the internet café was open. It was closed one afternoon and I was told I had to come back in 2 hours. I asked if the front desk or anyone else was available and told no, nobody else on the ship could. I realize it’s not Princess’ fault that we had to turnaround the first day due to a medical emergency on the ship and miss the day in Juno and our excursion. Thank goodness the excursion company gave us a refund. It was very disappointing that we didn’t get off the ship until 7pm and told we had to be back on the ship by 9:30pm. We spent 2 hours in Juno, got in line to get on the ship at 9:10pm. For some reason, the gangway was closed. Princess was very unorganized and we didn’t get on the ship until 10:15pm. This is my second time on an Alaskan cruise, imo Ketchikan is the best port. It was disappointing that we were only there from 7am to 1pm (in port for only 4.5 hours). Getting off the ship at 7:30 in Victoria was really a waste of time as most stores and the vistor’s center were closed. Princess sent out a survey after the cruise, I voiced my concerns and nobody even bothered responding.

Ruby Princess My Least Favorite Cruise/Cruise Ship

Ruby Princess Cruise Review by browneyedgirrl

• Sail Date: June 2018
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Oceanview (obstructed view)

browneyedgirrl’s Full Rating Summary