3. Viking Vidar
We embarked in Amsterdam and did the Rhine on the Viking Vidar. We had just come off a 11 day Baltic Sea ocean cruise and wondered if a smaller river ship would have enough for us to do for a week. The crew was fantastic! Every day there was something new to explore and on some days, we even got in two ports. Most of the excursions were included. I loved the fact we were not nickeled and dimed all week. I thought the selection of excursions was great and being on the river allowed them to drop us off at one point to keep the commute time to the excursion minimal. All of our guides were professional and knowledgeable of history and you really felt you had a great overview of everything you toured. While there is not 24/7 dining available, the meals were delicious (3 per day at set times) and they had a great selection of wines and spirits. We had a Veranda room and the space was comfortable. The beds were a little harder than my liking, but had I spoke up, they had memory foam that could have been added. They have the best design for showers that we have experienced so far. My only negative comment would be that you were limited to CNN and MSNBC for your news. Both very left leaning and it would have been nice to have had some balance there. The Program Director was lively, always made activities fun, she had a bubbly personality and the Hotel Manager went above and beyond for us. Once in Basel, they had arranged for transportation to our hotel and everything was clockwork. They never skipped a beat all week. We are looking now at a cruise in Asia, will definitely travel with them again.

First Time on Viking