3. Norwegian Getaway
I was worried after reading some of the reviews of this ship, but after experiencing a week on the Getaway for myself I have no idea what all of the complainers were talking about because my whole family had an amazing vacation. Our group was eight people (five who had cruised previously) with four adults, two twenty year olds, and two teenagers. No one was ever bored on the ship and there was plenty to do on the ship throughout the day and well into the night. We all had the drink package and got to eat at 3 speciality restaurants. The ship itself is beautiful and with the amount of people on board it never felt crowded. We even had to go to guest services a couple of times (even during some shows) and there was no wait and everyone was extremely helpful. The atrium is a bad use of space like other reviews say, but you know what, I was ok sitting way in the back, off to the side, or standing on the edge to watch the game shows which were super entertaining. The pool deck was also not as much of an issue as I had expected. My big group was always able to find chairs and enjoy the pool. The main pool for everyone was never that crowded, the one that was crowded was the adults only pool because all people did was sit around the edge instead of actually going in the pool. The slides, ropes course, arcade, and mini golf was also super fun and again we never had a long wait. Because of our large party we made dinner reservations ahead of time and never had to wait for a table. We ate at the main dining rooms for breakfast and the Tropicana Room for dinner most nights. The service was incredible, very fast, the live music in the TR was a nice touch, and this is definitely the best food I've every had on a cruise ship. We ate at three specialty dining restaurants: La Cuchina, Le Bistro, and Cagneys. La Cuchina was ok, I felt the food was bland and the service was very slow. Le Bistro and Cagneys were my favorite meals on the ship, so delicious and while the service was still a little slow the food and atmosphere far outweighed that one negative. We ate at the buffets every now and then for lunch or to grab some snacks, and as usual, its a crowded area but the food and selection were very good. The Irish Pub is also a great space on the ship for ate night meals/snacks and late night drink service. Again we never had to wait and everything was yummy. And, its usually the place where a lot of the bands/performers/and entertainment staff hang out at night so you can tell them how great their performances are. Also, many people complained about bar service but neither me nor my party ever had any issues getting a drink. Like any bar, if its super crowded, you might have to wait a minute to order a drink, but after that the drinks came quickly and were not watered down. Finally, the entertainment on board was the best I have ever seen on a cruise ship. The cruise director Pacquito left a little to be desired for me, but by the end he grew on our group. His entire staff was great and every night there is a fun dance party on the top deck where everyone was dancing well into the night, The bands on board were also excellent and had everyone dancing throughout the ship. The Burn the Floor show was great and a couple of nights the cast also performs at the Tropicana Room so definitely try to catch them as many time as you can. The standout show for our group was the Million Dollar Quartet musical. WOW! If you have the chance, go and see this show. Everyone is extremely talented, playing their own instruments, and its just a really fun and interesting look at a moment in time with Elvis, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Carl Perkins. Overall, everyone had a wonderful vacation on the ship. Embarkation hit a snag when the connection was down for about an hour, but then it was smooth sailing from then on. I believe you get what you give so if you go into something with a bad attitude, you will get one back. If you are going on this ship, do not worry, it will be a wonderful time and the best cruise.

Awesome Cruise for the Whole Family

bronxcruiser718’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Getaway price drops

Oceanview Stateroom with Large Picture Window
Cabin OC 5824
The cabin was small but it accommodated two young women just fine. It never felt cramped and we each had enough room for all of our belongings. Our room steward, Maricel was incredible. She was so sweet, very helpful, and she was always around the floor so asking her for something was easy. Our room was cleaned promptly twice a day and the towel animals were adorable.
Deck 5 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins

• Costa Maya
    I liked the port but others in our party didn't. The layout can be slightly confusing and crowded but a majority of us still had a great time. There is a lot of great shopping and a huge pool to use if you are just staying in port. Also there was a lucha wrestling show is one of the restaurants by the pool which was a super fun bit of entertainment.
    View All 2,435 Costa Maya Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Costa Maya Cruise Port Review
  • Tulum
    Oh boy, the ferry ride to get to the mainland is a doozy. Even if you do not normally get sea sick, take some Dramamine before or after this ride or just keep your eyes closed because the ride can be rough. Once back on the mainland though, the hour-ish ride on the coach bus was wonderful and the site itself is beautiful. I learned a lot from out tour guide and the views were stunning. Also there are nice places to shop and eat some lunch.
  • Harvest Caye
    I really enjoyed Harvest Caye. We had been to RCL's island Labadee last year, and Harvest Caye was a way better experience. The beach was awesome, there was some seaweed, but that was a problem throughout the Caribbean. Also didn't mind paying for some drinks since the money goes to the people of Belize. We just went back onto the ship for a light late lunch.
    View All 1,049 Harvest Caye Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Harvest Caye Cruise Port Review
  • Snorkeling
    We did the Jolly Roger Catamaran and Snorkeling excursion and it was one of the highlights of the vacation for me. The entire staff is so friendly and helpful, they really made everyone fell comfortable. I had been snorkeling before and did not like it, but this experience change my mind. Beautiful reef with lots of wildlife swimming around. And once everyone came back to the boat, there was a yummy lunch, the rum punch was flowing, and the dance tunes were playing.
    View All 272 Snorkeling Reviews