3. Independence of the Seas
I must admit that we were very anxious boarding after reading the previous negative reviews regarding overcrowding. It was our first time cruising so bear in mind, we had nothing to compare it with. We arrived at Southampton port and as soon as we parked up, staff were there at hand to take our luggage. The check in process was so organised and easy. There were plenty staff around and it all went very smooth. Before we knew it, we were on board and headed straight to Windjammer for a much needed lunch. What struck us immediately was the warmth and friendliness of all the crew. We then headed to our rooms. My husband and the boys had a balcony room on the 8th deck which was clean and very spacious. I shared a deluxe ocean view on the 9th deck with my daughter. Again the room was very clean, spacious and plenty of room for storage. The beds and pillows were very comfortable. Food- we had our dining room slot at 8:30pm and the 2nd and 6th evenings were formal dress where most people made a great effort. The food menu was al a carte. However, there was nothing too special about the food although the service was impeccable.If one wanted more choice and less formality, the windjammer was perfect for that, although we did use Windjammer for breakfast and lunch. The choice and variety of food was great although it did get too busy and finding a place to sit was challenging. Entertainment- the shows were very good to a high standard. In the evenings there wasn’t a whole lot to do if you didn’t want to sit and get drunk at the bars. We found the time of the evening from 10pm after eating, had a huge void because there was nowhere to sit apart from loud noisy bars. Therefore we ended up going back to our rooms. Our kids were at the ages where one could attend the front lounge club and the other two, The Voyagers. Our son only went once to the 12-17yrs old club and left after 30 mins. He tried again on other days and gave up. All the kids knew eachother already and were not encouraged to mix with new kids. The older boys were sitting around on the sofas with girls on their laps which I feel was totally unacceptable in front of the younger 12 year old children. These older teens were hanging around the ship in packs and were so rude and intimidating. The cruise staff and parents should have more control over this. The other club was only okay. They didn’t go back again. I felt that the holiday was about spending time with my children and not locking them into a nursery to be treated like babies. The slides, pool, flow rider, climbing wall and sky pad were all great fun. On the whole, we had a nice week.

Lovely cruise

Ages 13 to 15
Get Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas price drops

Spacious Ocean View
Cabin 4M
Very clean- lovely front facing view
Deck 10 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins