River Royale Cruise Review by michael1924
- Sail Date: July 2018
- Destination: Europe River
- Cabin Type: Stateroom with French Balcony
We expected to visit Chateaux that we otherwise could not, with expert tour guides nd maybe some lectures.
We had also hoped for "Haut Cusines" and luxury experience. Regrettably:
• Food provided was very average, nothing special although I daresay it was adequate.
• Meal times were restrictive. In particular breakfast started / finished in line with tours. No tea (scones / cakes) was on offer.
• Wines were on the cheap end and not representative of fine wines available in the Bordeaux region. We were gratified that we were able to purchase our own wines offshore and drink them over dinner without a corkage charge.
• Only 4 of the 6 full days included wine tours, one of which was very poor. No on-board wine lectures were included. Given the nature of the cruise there were not enough wine experiences!!!
• Cooking class which cost €119 which was very poor and decidedly not as advertised. A view shared by all 6 participants. On complaining no remedy was offered.
• Entertainment offered on board was very limited. Singer was somewhat tedious and no broadcast of the world cup final was available.
• Infuriatingly one night (captain’s birthday) there was a party on deck above our cabin with noisy music until 2.00 am.
• I got the impression that the boat’s management did not react well to criticism. Specifically when I commented on one of the wine tours and my wife on the cooking class.
250,000+ people have entered their email