Viking Egil Cruise Review

Mostly Not Their Fault

Viking Egil Cruise Review by jclarremore

• Sail Date: Jul 2018
  • Destination: Europe River

European heat wave while we were there. The excursions were incredibly hot temperature wise, so much so, that I had to take frequent breaks whenever I could find shade. We were there during a drought of sorts so we were not moving for the last three days. That's fine; they don't have control over that; I completely understand that, but it felt like the excursions were then just thrown together and some were cancelled, of course. A few of our excursions included a local meal...the food was just not good (I'm being polite) which included the Sound of Music tour lunch. It was so incredibly hot during these lunches, as well, that I couldn't enjoy the food. The places we went were nice, but no cool interior air.

I wasn't happy with 7:00pm dinner time. I would have liked a choice, at least, to dine earlier, but I knew this going in. I thought it would be ok, But dinner was usually over around 9:00.

I will say this...they have great food choices, but when I asked the waiter one night to have my salmon cooked medium rare (as it was completely overcooked the day before) he replied with "I have no control over that; they all go in at the same time." I didn't like that response, but took my chances, and yes, it was overcooked again. I just didn't order that again.

Sorry, Viking, it was too hot, but I know you don't have any control over that.

They do have an amazing cruise director, Oliver. The bartenders were outstanding. The housekeeping service was also great.

jclarremore's Full Rating Summary