3. Grand Princess
We embarked at San Francisco port #27. Since we are local to the area, we did not do any exploring of the city and took a ride-share to get to the port. We arrived about a half an hour before our embarkation time, which gave our group of 8 time to drop off all of our checked luggage. We all printed out the baggage claim tickets and attached them to the handles of the bags. This part of the embarkation process took us the most time. Once we dropped our bags, we proceeded up the stairs and through security with little wait. The check-in desk split out group up by cabins, which was just fine. We got our embarkation picture and the got on board the ship. Our cabin was ready for our use when we got there, so we dropped off the carry on baggage and headed to the buffet for some lunch. The crew and staff were ready to help with beverage retrieval and table busing. We did the Traditional Dining first seating, which turned out to be 5pm, not the 6pm that our travel summary quoted. Put a slight change in some of our plans since most folks in our party do not typically eat dinner that early, but it all worked out. If you are booking your cruise well in advance, I highly recommend signing up for Traditional Dining. Have a table ready for you when you arrive, with the same amazing waitstaff night after night is almost magical. The dinning rooms do have different, mostly more upscale, menu items compared to the buffet. All good food, but one of my traveling companions said that he was okay with the early dinner time because why would he want to eat at "McDonald's" when he could have this (said as he motioned to his amazing meal). The thing about Traditional Dining that I don't think most cruisers realized is that you are not restricted in the quantity of menu items that you can order. If you really want to try two or three of the appetizers, then order them. If two entrees look good (and you think you'll still have stomach room) then order them. The same goes with dessert. Heck, we would order certain things for "the table" so that we could all try it. The interior cabin was fine, but perhaps a little dated. We did not spend a lot of time in the cabin, so not having natural really wasn't an issue. When we were in the cabin I'd just tune the TV to the "front of the ship" channel to see our surrounds. My husband and I had them use the "Queen Bed" configuration. It was fairly comfortable. It's created by pushing two twins together, so there is a slight bump in the middle where the two beds meet. Makes cuddling interesting. Definitely unpack your belongings! Don't live out of your suitcase - this takes up too much room. Use the closet, the shelves, the drawers...use it all. The more floor space you have, the less cramped it feels. Also, bring some sort of air freshener for the bathroom - there is no fan. We found that Poopouri was amazing! The entertainment on board varied in quality. My husband, sister and mother all participated in the majority of the dance lessons (ballroom and line) and found them to be great fun. The comedian we saw was funny maybe for 25% of his show - beyond that he was cliche and offensive. We peeked in on the production shows, but were not overly impressed with them. Felt pretty amateurish and not as polished I hoped. The spa services are reasonably priced and the technicians are great, but be prepared for the up sell on product. They will not "recommend" that you buy it, they will word it more as a doctor would if they were prescribing a necessary medication. It is effective, but be strong if you really don't want something. It is okay to say "no." The jewelry store on board also has sales-people who will give you the hard sell, but most items in that shop were waaaaaay outside of my price range. Overall, I love sailing with Princess. I always feel pampered and welcomed.

Unexpectedly good weather in Alaska.

Grand Princess Cruise Review by Sanood

• Sail Date: July 2018
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Interior

Overall, I love sailing with Princess. I always feel pampered and welcomed.
Sanood’s Full Rating Summary
Get Grand Princess price drops

Interior
Cabin IA L245
(No idea what IA,IB, etc. means for an interior cabin, so I just picked IA)
Baja Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Mendenhall Glacier
    This was the first part of our two part excursion. We did a short, easy hike to a small beach that had a great view of the glacier and the waterfall formed by its run off.
    View All 889 Mendenhall Glacier Reviews
  • Mount Roberts Tramway
    We did this at the end of the day, so the "all day pass" does seem quite as worth it, but it is still a must do in Juneau.
    View All 235 Mount Roberts Tramway Reviews
  • Whale Watching
    We did this as the second part of a two part excursion. Very cool experience. Most whales (humpbacks) feed solo, but every now and then they group up into what is called a bubble feeding. 10 plus whales rounding up fish and feasting. Quite a sight.
    View All 841 Whale Watching Reviews
  • Rainforest Hike
    We hopped in a small boat (a RIB) and went to an island for a hike through the rain forest. The national parks have the hiked planked to preserve the area, but there were plenty of stairs, so mobility is good.
    View All 95 Rainforest Hike Reviews
  • White Pass Scenic Railway
    It's a three hour time commitment to simply ride a train to the Canadian border, but the views are spectacular and well worth it. I will admit that we did get lucky with the weather - clear skies are not exactly typical in Alaska.
    View All 1,104 White Pass Scenic Railway Reviews
  • Victoria
    Our time in Victoria was too short. 7am to all aboard by 1:30pm.
    There were plenty of excursion offerings, but we decided to do High Tea at the Empress Hotel. That was a lot of fun...if you're into tea time that is. If you want to do this, then I suggest you book it well in advance. They take reservations 2 months out.
    View All 1,314 Victoria Cruise Port Reviews