• Cheers to 25 years: Celebrate with Us!
  • Find a Cruise
  • Deals
  • Excursions

Viking Sun Review

Editor Rating
14 Awards

Sold! (So good that, en route, I signed up for another.)

Review for Viking Sun to Around the World
rdcramer3
6-10 Cruises • Age 70s

Sail Date: Dec 2017
Cabin:

Four months of traveling alone, both firsts for me (and for the Sun), along with eccentric eating practices, made me rather apprehensive as the embarkation date approached. Instead it was a glorious experience. The variety of the 50+ port excursions, my raison d'être, many ports one-dayers and/or new to Viking, not to mention the preparatory port talks, were well run, seldom a cattle-car experience. The World Cafe provided me with my best dining experience ever, for its variety and convenience. I'd done a short cruise on the sister Viking Star, and was as delighted as I expected to be with the cabin. The senior staff, especially the cruise director, were extraordinarily warm, energetic, and responsive to constructive feedback. Other high points were the duplicate bridge, trivia contests, and library contents. With respect to entertainment, I've never been charmed by stage shows or cocktail parties, but I was delighted to watch the Eagles' march to the Super Bowl during the first weeks crossing the Pacific. Though I'm quite happy by myself, the fellow travelers I met on excursions and shipboard activities were mostly good companions.

Only persistent problem was temperature control in the public spaces -- not unexpected for a first cruise in the tropics which were mostly new to Viking.

Value for money? Well, compared to the costs of my other travels, I expected this would be a one-off, but not so!

Plenty of space for a solo traveler, everything of course new. I signed up for the same cabin on my next (probably last, as I will have been almost everywhere) "Viking World Cruise".

Find a cruise