3. Norwegian Jewel
This was the first cruise for my husband and I and our three adult children. We decided to do a cruise because it was our first trip to Alaska and a cruise seemed a good way to get an overview. We chose the Norwegian Jewel because we were a bit late making travel arrangements and the 7-day southbound cruise from Seward to Vancouver had availability and fit into all of our calendars. None of our land arrangements prior to or after the cruise were part of the cruise package. After considering our cabin options we decided on two 2-bedroom suites - one for the "kids" (they're not kids at all) and one for my husband and I. I thought some of the perks I'd read about would be frivolous and even silly - things like having a butler and concierge - but in reality they were quite helpful. Our concierge met us as soon as we were checked in and escorted us up to our suites. He also met us in a designated place before every shore excursion and escorted us to the front of the line of folks waiting to exit the ship, so there was never a wait. He was also available to make/change dinner reservations for us, helped us locate a few belongings that ended up in the lost and found, and made sure we were happy throughout the trip. Other perks of this cabin level included having exclusive access to the Moderno Restaurant for breakfast and lunch, as well as access to The Haven sundeck for glacier viewing. Afternoon snacks were delivered to our room each day by our butler - chocolate-covered strawberries, a crudite plate, fresh fruit, and cheese and crackers were among the afternoon surprises. We truly enjoyed the food in the a la carte restaurants, particularly Cagney's Steakhouse and Le Bistro. But we were underwhelmed by the quality of the food at Azura, Tsars Palace, Cin Cin (and the sushi bar) and O'Sheehan's. We like to have dinner relatively late (8:30 or so) and found much of the food in these restaurants to be less than fresh and not hot by the time we were served. And it was somewhat ironic that in an area where the best salmon on the planet is so plentiful it's often given away in some towns, the salmon on the ship was all previously frozen. As for shore excursions - I booked them all myself, prior to the cruise, and opted for tours with small, independent tour operators in each port, rather than the large-group excursions offered by the cruise line. I'd do exactly the same thing again because they gave us a more intimate, "up close and personal" look at the areas we were visiting. We enjoyed the shows as well as the lounge entertainment and found the service throughout the cruise to be outstanding.

Our 2-bedroom suite was well worth the additional cost

CindyU’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Jewel price drops

Family Penthouse with Balcony
Cabin SC 11024
The cabins were beautiful, each with two bedrooms, one of which had a very comfortable king size bed, a lovely veranda, four TVs, spacious dining and living areas, two full bathrooms, one of which was quite large with separate tub and shower. There was even a cappuccino/espresso maker in the dining area.
Deck 11 Inside Cabins, Suite Cabins