3. Emerald Princess
We choose Emerald Princess based solely on price at the time of purchase. We knew we wanted to go to Alaska. Because of the cheaper fare, I thought that we might have a budget cruise. That is not the case. We were treated with the utmost respect and felt we were treated exceptionally well just as cruisers who paid for the pricier suites. The ship was beautifully furnished. The service was over the top wonderful and the food extravagant. Embarkation and disembarkation went smoothly and without hassle. I heard from another couple at high tea that they've had nightmare embarkations and Princess handles the process the best. The interior cabin was sufficient and roomy for two people. The dining experiences felt like fine dining every night. I truly felt spoiled with the service. The buffet was extravagant and had tons of food options for all types and ages of cruisers. It was nice to talk to the servers about their home country and how long they have been on board. The ports were interesting and fun and the two shore excursions were worth every penny. Go on the railway excursion if you can. It doesn't disappoint. My first positive cruise makes me a fan and I would definitely cruise again. You feel spoiled, special and are treated so well by all the crew members.

First Time Cruiser expectations

paotanez’s Full Rating Summary
Get Emerald Princess price drops

Interior
Cabin IE Baja 211
The room was sufficient for both my husband and I. The steward came in at least three times a day to tidy up and in the evening, leave us chocolate and paperwork with information and news. The bedding is not washed everyday, but the towels were replaced with fresh ones everyday. The toilet paper always had that point on the end and I only say this as it shows the level of detail from the steward. Princess went through a change in the last few years replacing all the beds. It is a extremely wonderful pillow top bed with down pillows and it was so comfortable and easy to sleep in.
Riviera Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Best of Juneau
    Three parts to "The Best of Juneau". First the Mendenhall Glacier, then whale watching, then salmon bake. The Mendenhall Glacier is fantastic and beautiful. Bus driver experienced and fun. Whale watching took two hours and there is a bathroom on board. The boat was easy to get into but not wheelchair accessible. We did see whales and the young gal on board in charge was fun and informative. We ended with a fantastic salmon bake with tons of food because the excursion was 6 hours and everyone was hungry. We could spend as much time eating and checking out the waterfall as we wanted because shuttle buses back to the ship were every 15 minutes. Our shuttle driver was hilarious.
    View All 50 Best of Juneau Reviews
  • White Pass Scenic Railway
    This was the excursion I was looking forward to. We took a bus to Canada with several stops on the side of the road for pictures and viewing. We stopped at the Welcome to Alaska sign and took pictures. Have your passports out on the bus as the Canadian inspector will come onto the bus. Then we boarded the rail cars on the railway. Old fashioned but with a bathroom on board. They offered water but no snacks. The train ride was fabulous. It lasted two hours and the scenery was breathtaking. The guide was informative and let us know what to expect for picture taking. She gave us quite a bit of history of the yukon railroad. Crossing back into the US was easy as the US inspector came on board and just looked at our passports. I highly recommend this excursion.
    View All 1,107 White Pass Scenic Railway Reviews