3. Golden Princess
This is our third cruise on Princess. Our first was a round trip from Seattle to Skagway, second was a Panama Canal partial transit. This was a trip from Anchorage to Vancouver. It was a great experience. We took a longer transfer/tour from Anchorage to Whittier (Anchorage Tours and Transfers, Half Day Sightseeing Tour). So on the route we got to stop several times for the views of Turnagain Arm and Beluga Point. Redoubt volcano was visible in the distance, which was cool. We saw a few mountain goats on the hillside. But just an easy, carefree transit. We arrived at the ship at about 5 and had no lines at all for boarding. There were 8 of us in a party. We were on the Lido deck, midship port. All the cabins were clean and we were tended to very well. The bed was comfy. I had plenty of hot water any time of day (I did have to override the water temp handle on the shower to allow for hotter water, which some people seemed to struggle with.) The room was quiet and comfortable. We skipped the internet package, but I did opt for AT&T Cellular at Sea, which worked ok for the few days we were totally out of range. But once we got within cell shot, it went away and I could never connect again for some reason. But that was AT&T, not Princess. We'll have a chat with them about that. We ate at Horizon court buffet and the main dining room on various nights. The vast majority of people were scrupulous about washing hands in the basins before entering the dining areas, and staff were present most of the time to encourage that. I saw no evidence of anyone being sick during our trip. I found the food in both venues to be very good overall, with a few misses. I found we were all better off if we paid attention to Virgil's menu recommendations! He knows his stuff. After the first night, he remembered I like a dry martini before dinner, so he would have it ready for me right away. And he and his coworker Ryan kept us filled and entertained each night. High praise for them. I also couldn't really understand some of the earlier comments about ship condition. There's some wear and tear, yeah, but I saw no water running anywhere, nor did I have "sewer smells" anywhere either. ?? No idea what that is referring to. The entertainment was fun, but a few passengers made it awkward for the rest of us by saving huge swaths of seats for their parties. Stupid, but it was a little entertaining watching them get cursed at repeatedly by people trying to find seats! lol. As far as the itinerary, Glacier Bay was very impressive, and the most memorable part of the trip. After a foggy day at Portage the day before, the captain worked hard to give us plenty of time at Margerie glacier, where we saw several incidents of calving, and listened to the constant cracking and explosions as the glacier moved forward. Lots of sea otters floating around as well, which was fun to watch for. Just a remarkable experience. Everyone loved it. On the sea days, I found good spots to sit by a large window, read a book and just watch the scenery go by. Service was quick and attentive. I had a few drinks during the day, and my nightly martini. Our total with tips was about $370. On the way to Skagway, we were accompanied by a humpback whale for a little while. The naturalist on board helped teach us how to spot them by the "blow", and sure enough the entire deck shouted and pointed as soon as one was spotted off the port side. We went on a non-Princess whale-watching excursion (Dolphin Jet Boat Tours) in Juneau and had another great time. Saw numerous whales over 2 hours and learned about their habits and personalities. Well worth the money. Ketchikan was a great place to stop for souvenirs. It was a beautiful sunny day and fun to just walk around. I had a beer in one of the little dive bars and chatted with a local about life there. I found people were friendly and funny. I would not hesitate to recommend this ship or itinerary to anyone.

Great Time on the Golden Princess

Golden Princess Cruise Review by donco6

• Sail Date: July 2018
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

I would not hesitate to recommend this ship or itinerary to anyone.
donco6’s Full Rating Summary
Get Golden Princess price drops

Balcony
Cabin BF L234
You can see the cabin layout online, so not much to add. There is a big-ass flat screen TV with quite a few current movies to watch. Plenty of storage for clothes and bags. Our cabin steward was efficient and non-intrusive. We never lacked for a dry towel at any time. We did spend time on the balcony for this cruise, so worth the extra cost.
Lido Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins