3. Avalon Tapestry II
This location was a place my late husband had always wanted to visit as a WW II history buff. My daughter and I took the cruise in his honor to visit and hear about the times and places he had such avid interest in. We selected this cruise because of its focus and that there would be a historian to accompany along the trip. Nigel Stewart was wonderful on his delivery of what was happening during the time leading up to the Normandy invasion. His insight on the military figures, leaders and family stories was so engaging. The Captain, Cruise Director and the entire crew and staff were absolutely wonderful and made our cruise such a wonderful, delightful, and special vacation for us. Everyone was so attentive and cared for our every request. The Cruise Director, Tony Williamson, had the perfect communication plan to gather us to advise us on the next day's activities and what we needed to know. He and Captain Rudy were always at at the gang plank to send us off and greet us when we returned to wish us a great trip. Staff in the lounge or dining room were attentive and quickly addressed any requests for extra bread, drinks and freely poured wine during the entire meal. Excellent service by all. The ship was beautiful and our state room was great. Small, but that is what cruise cabins are, and the condition and fixtures were more than accommodating to our needs. The staff always cared for us and made our trip so enjoyable. Meals were amazing and the group dinner meals or the quick self serve lunch in the lounge were equally delicious and delightful. Cruising during meal times added so much to seeing sights along the river while gently cruising along. The only criticism we had was that if you sat in the middle part of the main diining room there were lengthy delays in being served. On one such meal iwe were not served our main entree, when our table neighbors had already finished their dessert. Excursions offered were very enjoyable and depending on the guide, we were provided with great history, background with time to venture around the villages. The only disappointments were a stop in Caudebec and one of the Paris excursions when we returned to port. We arrived at Caudebec, and the excursion offered was not of interest to us, but then it turns out that the village shops were not open on Mondays. So while we could walk around to visit see the village, we could not shop for any local specialties. The Paris bike tour was not as was presented and should have indicated not for a novice rider, Perhaps the group of 11 was too large, but we traveled through heavily trafficked Paris streets and tourists venues. So my own ride was stressful in that I was worried about staying connected to the group and out of the car and pedestrian pathways that I did not enjoy it at all. Embarking and disembarking were flawless, clearly defined processes, bags were picked up immediately as we put them outside our state room, and were outside our transfer without having to identify them first. The ship crew were wonderful and so professional. The Tapestry II cruise was our first ever cruise of any kind and I must say I feel spoiled that I would not want to cruise any other way!!! I loved being able to sit out on the front, top deck or rear lounge areas while we cruised. It was so peaceful, presented great opportunity for pictures along the way, or just to get alone time if you wanted it. Other travelers were so friendly and it was great to meet others and talk about their travel experiences and why they chose the cruise as well. We also booked additional time before and after the cruise that Globus assisted us with for hotel and transfers. All was done with no effort on our part and went very smoothly. The few negatives mentioned, did not spoil our trip and we had a wonderful time. Avalon will be a first choice for a new adventure!

Tapestry II Normandy Cruise

Quillendk’s Full Rating Summary
Get Avalon Tapestry II price drops

Outside Stateroom with French Balcony
Cabin A 204
Very nice small, but well appointed. Always very clean and Pavel kept our room in wonderful condition and gave us a special surprise on our return one day!!!
Sapphire Deck Balcony Cabins