3. Golden Princess
My second time on this cruise tour ("bucket list" trip with my elderly father 6 years ago; this trip with my wife). I think this trip is the best itinerary to be found in the Alaska market, but the Golden Princess doesn't measure up to to other cruises I've taken. I read terrible reviews right before we left, and was prepared for the worst--happily, there were only a few instances of sewage smell and leaks in the hallways (still, a few too many!). The ship is OK, so don't worry if you are soon to embark. Club Class Dining was very worthwhile, as the service was excellent and menus items varied and well prepared/presented. The Horizon cafeteria is average at best--they seem to be just going through the motions. The Crown restaurant was a disappointment--the manager was barely involved and the staff reflected that. The menu isn't very interesting, even if it was free I wouldn't bother with it. The main entertainment was standard cruise level--decent except for the last night "British Invasion" show. It was so bad I thought it was a parody but then realized they were serious so we left. If at all possible, don't walk by the karaoke bar--some things one just can't "unhear" and I have no idea why people subject themselves and others to that. For Glacier Bay we paid the extra $120 to have two lounge chairs in "The Sanctuary" to avoid the crowds. It was cold and windy, so it was nice to have the hot chocolate and protection from the wind. Spots are sold out soon after embarkation, so check it out first thing if interested. The land portion really depends on what excursions one takes. Don't bother if you aren't willing to spend a bunch of money on excursions, as the McKinley and Denali lodges are huge and one feels like you are being processed through a mill with overpriced but not great dining options. Flying up to hike on a glacier is worth the cost, as is the jet boat ride up the Chulitna Gorge. Without high level excursions, it's just a lot of time in motor coaches with a possible view of Mt. McKinley (I lucked out this time--unheard of two days of crystal clear weather on the mountain, but most often people just see clouds).

Tired ship but great itinerary

Golden Princess Cruise Review by Verno1

• Sail Date: July 2018
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Premium Club Class Mini-Suite with Balcony

Verno1’s Full Rating Summary
Get Golden Princess price drops

Premium Club Class Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin M1 D329
Kind of dated, but perfectly functional. Bed was excellent. Definitely spring for a mini-suite with Club Class Dining if you can.
Dolphin Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins