3. Norwegian Breakaway
We choose this cruise because of the ports and dates. We stayed in the Haven which is quite expensive but quite lovely. We were not impressed with excursions. They were too expensive with too many people. I ended up cancelling two of our scheduled excursions and booking local tour guides at 2 ports. It was hot and many people were not dressed for walking on uneven streets. They would have on flip flops or sandals. We had two people fall on two different excursions. One boat we were on in Stockholm had us packed in like sardines and it was HOT and unpleasant. If/when we take another cruise I will pre-book all the excursions on our own. Just research on Tripadvisor and you can find reputable tours. We have done that all over Europe and never had an issue. The cardio equipment needs more maintenance. It is heavily used and poorly maintained. The rowing machine was broken while we there. It was supposedly fixed...it wasn't fixed. Had to try 4 different ellipticals before one worked consistently. The exercise room needs a re-vamp. It is very tired. Perhaps putting the equipment on a maintenance rotation schedule....don't wait until it is broken....preventative maintenance. Customers need to check the credits on their accounts when they get on the ship. There were problems with several of my credits. I checked them the day before we left and that wasn't soon enough to get anything fixed. So I was overcharged and I will have to get my travel agent involved to see if we can get any credits. We disembarked to get on the bus to Berlin. It was a 3 hour drive with NO scheduled bathroom break...who does that? 3 hours with no restroom break? Keep in mind the restroom on the bus was out of order. Our son speaks German so we requested the bus driver stop when a 10 year old girl was becoming quite miserable. The bus driver was nice and very accommodating. The internet was too expensive and really too difficult to operate. The system should log you automatically after so many minutes of no use. Seemed a little mean spirited and almost suspicious in this day and age to such an archaic system. This cruise had a learning curve for us. We would cruise with NCL again but apply what we learned this time.

First Time on a Cruise

Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by lalbers

lalbers’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Breakaway price drops

• City Tour
    Great 3 hour tour of the City. We walked a ton but we loved it. Had lunch at this fun outdoor food stand area.
    View All 176 City Tour Reviews
  • Helsinki
    We did Rick Steve's walking tour on our own. It was fun. If we had questions, people were very kind to answer our questions. Do NOT take produce back to the ship from the market. We had to throw away about $30.00 of berries and cherries.
    View All 849 Helsinki Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Helsinki Cruise Port Review
  • Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood
    This was a decent tour. You have to have a VISA to tour in Russia so we did book with the boat. Very busy and very hot
    View All 190 Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood Reviews
  • Hermitage Museum
    View All 340 Hermitage Museum Reviews
  • City Tour
    The Vasa Museum was the best part of this excursion. We looked around independently. The tour guide was nice and helpful but she had a monotone voice that was like fingers on a chalkboard. Also, 3 hours of free time? 3 hours for a guided tour. We didn't care because we do fine on our own but many people were disappointed/unhappy/mad.
    View All 130 City Tour Reviews
  • Vasa Museum
    View All 116 Vasa Museum Reviews
  • City Tour
    The tour guide was very nice knowledgable. The town was SO busy and very hard to get around. The cobblestone streets caused one lady to fall. Impossible to hear the tour guide.
    View All 83 City Tour Reviews