3. Avalon Tapestry II
This was my first cruise and it was with my adult relatives. We started from Paris and went to Le Havre with a side trip to Normandy. Each day was 1 or 2 shore excursions that were generally enjoyable as they were to historic areas or buildings. Tours of Versaille and Le Louvre were almost surreal due to the crowds so be prepared. I also had a couple of days before the cruise to see some of Paris which helped the trip feel complete. The rooms were compact but very comfortable, although we weren't in them much due to all the activities. Food was plentiful and leaned towards the high end, definitely not steaks and pasta. Although it seemed we were eating all the time the portions where small (but sufficient) so it was easy to not feel stuffed. Wine is all you can drink. There were also 24/7 snacks available. I would have preferred a little earlier dinner time but since there weren't planned events afterwards it worked out. A great memory was setting on the deck after dinner and watching the scenery go by as the sun set - really amazing. The crew was great, very friendly and helpful. Entertainment on board was mostly just happy hour, with a couple of events like cooking and a classical band - which I enjoyed greatly even though I am a rock fan. One criticism of the tour was that the bus travel cut into the time at the destination. Of course that is inevitable because the river doesn't just flow right up to everything. Normandy felt especially rushed because we went to Point du Hoc in the morning and then the Normandy cemetery in the afternoon with a quick lunch at a golf course in between. I think I would not want to skip either but we needed more time. In my case I probably could have ignored the tour guide because I was already familiar with the historic events so maybe less talking and more wandering would have helped. A box lunch could have saved time, too, although the restaurant did a great job at serving us quickly. I would have liked to gone to one of the private museums along the way. To me this was a trip of a lifetime (so far) and it was exactly what I wanted. The small boat made everything feel much more cozy and not just a floating hotel. Highly recommended.

First cruise was a great family adventure

Avalon Tapestry II Cruise Review by mateo8bh

• Sail Date: June 2018
  • Destination: Europe River
  • Cabin Type: Outside Stateroom with Window

mateo8bh’s Full Rating Summary
Get Avalon Tapestry II price drops

Outside Stateroom with Window
Cabin D 107
Although tight the room was very well outfitted and everything was high quality. The bed was comfy, lots of water in the shower, and movie channels to help unwind at night. Hardly any boat noise came into the cabin, just a little water sloshing at times since I was in the lower deck.
Indigo Deck Outside Cabins