3. Star Princess
The cruise ports are pretty much the same amongst all Alaska cruise options. They are over saturated with the same jewelers and shopping that are sponsored by the cruise industry. The senic crusing in the fjords and at the glaciers was great though. The shore excursions could be found for half the price on land and I highly recommend the Jeep Self-Guided Tour in Juneau. The food was average and only one or two items were memorable. What was memorable was the poor dining service. The pastries and desserts were very well made and were the memoranble food items. Do be prepared to be nickeled and dimed with Princess - everything is ala carte. Pay for a cup of coffee on Deck 5, but if you go to Deck 14 it is free? I mean come on Princess it is the same coffee. Group fitness classes are also extra dollars - every gym on the planet has free spin classes, but Princess charges $15 per class! The Enrichment Activities provided by the National Park Servive (who came onboard at Glacier Bay NP) and the guest native Alaskians was a highlight of the trip. They did add to the trip. The cabin service was above average and our cabin steward was very professional. Now, this is my second time on this ship. The first time I was on it was 15 years ago. According to Princess they “refurbished” the ship this year - some new flooring? To use an analogy from real estate - they did a quick flip of the ship by adding some new flooring, maybe a coat of paint, new hull logo, and added mattress toppers to the beds. The paneling and almost all items that are visible in the ship are original and are very much showing their age. Chairs in the dining room did not match each other, mirror mouldings were missing sides, cfl light bulbs flickered, carpets were stained, lounge chairs on deck had tears throughout, cabin furnishings were all worn, etc. Finally, I feel it necessary to comment on the production shows. Now, I live in Las Vegas and work around professional entertainment venues - I literally see some of the best entertainers in world monthly. With that said, the entertainment on the ship was some of the worst I have seen on a cruise ship (this is my 8th cruise). Maybe if I had more overpriced and under poured cocktails I would have found them better, but 2/4 singers in the production cast could not make it as half-priced wedding singers on land. The dancers were mostly decent, but honestly when one of the male dancers practically collapses onstage during a lift of one of the more Rubenesque female dancers it is disappointing. The production value of the shows was good, but again when only 2 of 4 singers can execute it is just a recipe for disappointment. I do want to call out one performer who is a guitarist by the stage name of Philly - she was above average! Her personality and performance ability was awesome! Overall, for the “last minute” reduced price we paid for this voyage we were satisfied. If we had paid the full rate my review would be harsher.

Great Destinations and Senic Cruising - Average Everything Else

KJDeGrant’s Full Rating Summary
Get Star Princess price drops

Interior
Cabin ID P331
Worn furnishings, small, comfortable bed, no air circulation which meant after 7 days the room was very musty.
Baja Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins