Emerald Princess Cruise Review

Emerald Princess Cruise Review by TennisCruiser62

• Sail Date: Jul 2018
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Mini-Suite with Balcony

We were disappointed with Princess Cruises. Our family of 14 ranged from 7 months to 89yrs. The 89 yr old enjoyed herself but the teenagers, young adults and adults were are somewhat bored and disappointed. The shows were terrible and the young adults always left the show. Definitely not the caliber of RCCL’s Broadway shows!

There was not much for young adults and teens to do onboard the ship. They were bored.

Our dining in the Da Vinci room had slow service while the kids table had faster service. Kids were not impressed with the food. However, the food in the Crown Grill was so much better. Big difference in the lobster quality and steaks. Our waiter never brought a celebration cake we ordered prior to the cruise.

The helicopter excursion in Skagway and the Lumberjack Show in Ketchikan were awesome and the staff were friendly and great. However, DO NOT waste your money on the Buchart Gardens excursion in Victoria, BC! Not enough time to see the Gardens and fireworks, our bus driver was rude and threatened to leave passengers behind. It was difficult fighting the fireworks crowd to get back to your bus in the dark and in an unfamiliar area! Not to mention finding your bus in the sea of other buses! We even signed up for the wheelchair accessible excursion, should allow extra time for that also or not offer the fireworks portion of the Gardens!

We also purchased the Unlimited Photo Package prior to the cruise to save $50. This was a terrible purchase. Photographers were not always around, even at embarkation we had to ask where they were. They did not stay out at ports for very long and only came around the dining room twice. They were always too busy in the photo gallery to scan my photos to the USB stick so they held it over night. On 3 different occasions, I went back to pick it up and they couldn’t find my photos or the USB stick! Finally got everything the last day, so I thought. I got home and checked the USB stick and it was missing so many photos!

I was happy to see what’s still left of the Alaskan Glaciers, but next time I will definitely do whatever I can to sail on RCCL instead of Princess!

TennisCruiser62's Full Rating Summary

Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin ME D115

I expected it to be a little bigger but it was fine for 4 of us. The pull out sofa has 3 sitting sections but only 2 pull out to a bed. The cabin does have a pull down bunk which was nice. The bathroom was good size with the bathtub but shower curtain smelled of wet towels. The bed was comfortable and clean. The balcony light did not work and one of the nightstand drawers stuck. Not enough hangers for 4 people. My son said he did notice the rockiness of the ship being so close to the front of the ship. If you are prone to sea sickness I wouldn’t recommend.

Our cabin steward was a little older so not as fun and friendly as many we’ve had on past cruises. I even asked where the towel animals were and he said they were only for children. We had 3 minisuites in a row that he took care of, one with an infant. She never received a towel animal. We finally got one the day after I mentioned it. For a mini suite, I expected a little better service.

Lumberjack Show

I would have never booked this on my own but auntie and uncle wanted to go. It turned out to be a great entertaining show!

View All 333 Lumberjack Show Reviews
Juneau

Went to Mendenhall glacier visitor center on our own. If you do this, keep in mind the bus drops you off and you have to walk a mile to get there!

Helicopter Tour

Great tour, great guides, friendly, beautiful views you would otherwise never see!

View All 64 Helicopter Tour Reviews
Butchart Gardens

Terrible! Not enough time, bus driver was rude and kept threatening to leave passengers behind.

View All 308 Butchart Gardens Reviews
Seattle

Visited many places before and after the cruise.

TennisCruiser62