3. MSC Preziosa
We were an extended family of 10 Americans traveling together, with 2 seniors and 4 kids ages 2, 5, 9, 12. We picked MSC for the Norwegian Fjord destination and itineary. Overall, the destinations were fabulous, we enjoyed our family vacation and the cruise was a nice way to get there. Some in our group had cruised before with Celebrity or Royal Carribean. For them, this cruise is more bare bones, food not as good, shows not as glitzy. For the first time cruisers, we felt it was a great ship that tried to cater to kids and seniors alike, so our entire group was happy. Pros- The staff is busy, but they stopped to talk to us. Our waiter at dinner would play with the kids, and even bring out special off menu appetizers. They are constantly cleaning the ship everywhere, and the main lobby is very bling which our seniors liked. Lots of live music and a nice sports bar where they streamed in the World Cup games. Very nice! We booked through Expedia, which gave us free drink tickets for alcohol and juices, more than we could use. I found out later, this is for the American market only (we were very happy!) Because MSC offers different packages in each country, staff on board could not answer our questions. We did go to the excursion desk and they were able to help us with everything, including adding vegetarian meals to our excursions. Staff were great! The indoor pool was fabulous, particularly on this chilly Northern cruise. I would love to see them heat the water a bit, even in June. Cons- Southern Europeans can be quite rude, and I didn't care for their pushing and shoving...particularly at the buffet. I had to go to my zen place to deal with the crowds in the buffet. Crowds were worse at peak times on days in port, which is to be expected. Disembarking at some Norwegian ports took over an hour after arrival in port. I think those small ports aren't used to handling a ship the size of Prezosia. I wish they would've made an announcement, so everyone didn't mob the exits for an hour...again with pushy Europeans. There aren't many families with kids on the Norweigian Fjord itineary, more arrived as we disembarked for the Baltic Sea itinerary. My kids were looking for friends. I think Europeans prefer things alacarte, so MSC sells lots of packages on board. We were constantly bombarded with staff trying to sell us things. We got asked to buy a spa package when we exited the spa...oh my. Geiranger / Hellesylt - Booked our own excursion through Geiranger Fjordservice, was better than MSC options. The ship docks in Hellesylt first, then 2 hours later in Geiranger. The port authority here is slow, disembarking took >1 hour. Bergen- Hardangerfjord and Stave church excursion through MSC, breathtaking, the Fjord became repetative, 8 hours was way to long. Stave church was cool. We wished we had done a Bergen city tour instead. Flam- Dramatic scenery by train- This excursion is a must!! The railway views are amazing and the return by bus through another UNESCO Fjord with breathtaking views was unparralelled. Kiel- no excursions booked, half the passengers disembarked permanently, ship turned over with new passengers. Nice parks and city center within walking distance of the port. 2 days at sea- all ship areas were busy as expected including the gym. My kids were disappointed the Doremei Castle/ kids waterpark was not turned on even after being asked. As a family vacation, each age group had plenty to do that appealed to them, so everyone was happy. Add the breathtaking views into the mix, and it was a memorable experience. I would definitly cruise again with MSC, they have some unique locations they go to which is very cool.

Norwegian Fjords with Seniors and kids June 2018

Ages 10 to 12
Get MSC Preziosa price drops

Fantastica Balcony Stateroom
Cabin B2 1215
We got a handicapped cabin so it had an extra 3 feet of space which we appreciated. My brothers family had a similar one booked but they got moved to accomodate a handicapped passenger. The cabin was clean, turndown service prompt while we were at dinner, bathroom freshened daily. The balcony is a must for a fjord destination. After a busy day with excursion, we would sit on our balcony with drinks just soaking in the beauty of the fjords all around us until the ship left port.
Ametista Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins