3. Oasis of the Seas
I chose this cruise because of the facilities on the ship and because one of the destinations was Jamaica, somewhere I was very keen to go. We had an email the day before embarkation informing us that our itinerary had completely changed due to the weather forecast on our original route. Obviously this cannot be helped and I am grateful that safety is a priority but as a planner this completely floored me. If there was some suggestion of alternative itineraries in the booking process this would really help as I could have done some research in advance as to what we could do in the alternative destinations. As it happened the forecast changed again and we found out as we embarked that out original itinerary was back on. The process of embarkation and disembarkation was surprisingly smooth given the huge number of people all doing the same thing at the same time. Couldn’t fault it. We travelled as a family with two teenaged children and had two cabins next to each other at the front of the ship overlooking the helipad. We found these spacious, comfortable and excelllently maintained by the housekeeping team. We opted for a specialty dining package which we thoroughly enjoyed. The food and service was excellent. We didn’t enjoy how busy the main dining rooms were for breakfast so opted for something from the smaller cafes and got snacks on the days we didn’t have a specialty booking for the evening. Very happy with what was on offer everywhere foodwise. The shows were varied and showed of excpetional talent from the performers. The costumes and scenery were fantastic and it was hard to believe these were being performed on a ship. We didn’t rate the Come Fly With Me Show but that’s down to personal preference. We’d prebooked two shows but found it easy enough to get seats to the others when they were opened up 10 minutes before show time for those not booked. The excursions we had pre-booked and found to be excellent. We did the zip line in Labadee, Dunn’s River Falls and Dolphin Cove in Jamaica and Atlantis Submarine in Cozumel. All were very well run, felt very safe and guides and staff made sure that you had a good time. There wasn’t a lot of information as to how to get to where to meet for the excursions but as all were very close to the pier it became clear very quickly and wasn’t necessary in advance. I’m glad we could pre-book whilst back in the U.K. as it was much cheaper to do so and you could find far more information on what to expect from the excursion, including what to wear and what to take with you. This would have been quite an issue for us if our itinerary had had to change. Photos were very expensive at Dolphin Cove and as you couldn’t take your own it would have been good to know this in advance. The excursions are expensive, unnecessarily so since you have a captive audience wanting to do them, but we thoroughly enjoyed them and they’ve given us many holiday highlights. Facilities on board the ship were great but inevitably had queues with so many people on board. We gave up on rock climbing but how many people can say they ice-skated in the Caribbean?! For me the pools were too small for the number of people on board. In wanting to avoid the smoking side of the ship we were left with the children's pool and one other which became standing room only on sea days. I understand that it would be impractical to have a smoke free ship as it would alienate too many potential customers but I felt that this gave them an unfair advantage in some spaces where non-smokers have to put up with it or avoid the area entirely if you can’t tolerate the smoke for whatever reason. Onto cost. As Brits we’re just not used to the whole tipping thing. Gratuities are added to everything and after the initial cost of the cruise itself the add ons became almost prohibitively expensive. Drinks packages, gratuity packages, dining packages, WiFi packages, excursion costs. And then gratuities added to everything. Even then, with your drinks package you are still asked if you want to leave additional tips with every drink handed to you. We were happy to reward good service and did so, but the additional cost has the potential to rocket out of control. Yes, many of these are optional but we felt them necessary to make the most of our holiday. We took gratuities off our children’s accounts, they don’t earn any money so we don’t see why they should be tipping when as adults we are doing so on behalf of us as a family. There is no issue in doing this, we could have cancelled our own, but you have to do it the day you get on board and know to do so. Some people had nasty surprises when they saw their accounts a few days in. We had a great first time cruising experience and I would recommend the Oasis of the Seas as your ship of choice. The facilities, food, staff and experience were excellent but I would have to advise caution on cost. What you pay for your cruise initially is nowhere near your final cost in our experience. We would have to take that seriously into account before booking another.

Amazing ship, but you’ll need deep pockets!

Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by Jane Hughes

• Sail Date: July 2018
  • Destination: Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Ocean View Accessible

Jane Hughes’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas price drops

Ocean View Accessible
Cabin 1N 7500
Excellently maintained, comfortable and spacious
Deck 3 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins