Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review
2,269 Reviews

Not what we expected, left disappointed and disgusted with sneaky added charges

Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by MercyMercyMe

• Sail Date: Jul 2018
  • Destination: the Bahamas
  • Cabin Type: Ocean View Balcony

I have wanted to go on a Royal Caribbean Cruise for many, many years.

I was extremely disappointed and had much higher expectations especially with Royal Caribbean. My biggest disappointment is with the food. I imagined it was going to be much better than Carnival (in which I said I would never travel with again) since the prices are so much higher and I have heard good reviews from friends.

We traveled with a family of 7 and booked two rooms but part of a family reunion which was part of a bigger group of 30 guest in total. We wanted to dine together therefore most of us preferred to use the buffet Windjammer to accommodate our large group for breakfast & lunch and the big dinning room for dinner. The buffet food was repetitious from day one in which we got tired and lost interest in it by day 3. Dinner was better but not by a long stretch. There also wasn't much options for those seeking a healthier meal therefore leading to a lot of G.I/stomach issues throughout the week. The thoughts I had of indulging in some seafood while on vacation became just a fantasy. However we was very impressed by our service/staff who extended themselves to please all of us (including our children who was the most difficult). Louis, Sallyann and Ravenraj specifically not only displayed professional service but their kindness, passion and even love they provided us added to our vacation and great memories. We looked forward in seeing them on a daily basis. The Mystery Dinner Hubby and I had alone as a date night (Wedding Anniversary) was also over priced and again disappointed with food. Limited menu options and we both didnt care for our food. We both left hungry since we practically ate anything but had no where else we could go to have a meal we would enjoy. Ahmad provided the service to our rooms, he did a fantastic job making sure he cleaned after us several times through out the day regardless of the challenges our boys would leave behind. Although looking under the bed and behind the night tables in search of a missing toy we was surprised on how must dust was found, it made us wonder if that contribute to the constant sneezing our boys had that clearly only took place when inside our cabin?

Upon arrival my in laws had no working A.S, the fridge was hot (upsetting since important meds needed to be quickly refrigerated after being out so long boarding the ship. and there was workers fixing the bathroom that made it uncomfortable in the tight space. The issue was resolved later that day.

The ship itself was old, and very out dated compared to what is usually advertised therefore not what we expected. We found musty smell in many different parts of the ship. The shows were great, my personal favorite was "Love and Marriage" (hysterical), hubby & in laws enjoyed the casino (smaller than they expected). Our boys loved the kids club (especially Gaga ball) Mini Gulf, and the Water Slides. Ice cream/ Artic Zone was everyone's favorite! Seating was always challenging to obtain by the pool (with our towels & chairs taken often by other guest causing conflict on a few occasions). The massage was ok, not a lot of techniques used other than pressure and circular oil rub. I have received much better but also a lot worse. It was pricey therefore I refused to have anyone spent any additional money there even when offered to me as a treat for a mediocre massage.

The day we got to Coco Cay was a complete nightmare! The long waiting, the insane line's and tension with guest arguing with each other to exit off the ship was ridiculous, completely unorganized, and made me wonder how the staff could handle an emergency (not a good feeling at all). It was brutally hot on the island and we made the mistake of setting up at the further end of the beach that had no drinks, nor food nearby. My 9 year old over heated within the first hour and nearly passed out. I had to seek assistance from the life guard for transportation to get him hydrated but took nearly 20 min under the sun with no shade to finally get someone to drive over. Luckily he recovered once we got him into the shade and hydrated. My in laws had to sit inside the Tiki bar for the remaining of our stay to stay cool. Father in law got attacked by the seagulls when he attempted to bring food over to my diabetic mother in law who was too tired & hot to walk any more. No staff to help. As for the food, I was looking forward to something different to eat but instead got dogs, burgers, ribs and the same food type from the ships buffet. Very, very disappointing! To add to our list of our not so good experience, we got charges for drinks despite using our prepaid drink packages!

Speaking of charges our bill/charges at the end was disgusting when it appeared to have multiple charges made by error and we was expected to pay for the WiFi package that only worked for a portion of the time. The trip to Atlantis Bahamas was a lot better without any hiccups. We did our best to make the most of this trip with all of our family & friends and create special memories (especially with having to deal with the recent life altering events made when our son was diagnosed with leukemia).

This is why I gave this survey this rating.. After this experience, I believe we are done with Cruising (Well we may plan a Disney Cruise if possible, at the request of our son).I will not recommend anyone to go to Adventure by the Sea, but having the port nearby was convenient.

(stateroom #6656 & 6628)

MercyMercyMe's Full Rating Summary

Ocean View Balcony
Cabin 6D 6656

Old, out dated, rusty balcony with old stains, dust under the bed and behind furniture. The daily service after us was great, he was pleasant and attentive to our needs.

MercyMercyMe