3. Sapphire Princess
The Norwegian Fjords have been on my bucket list and did not disappoint. The itinerary was absolutely gorgeous and if it wasn't for that, this cruise would be getting a much lower rating. The cabin was small and tired. This ship is due a major overhaul. Specifically little things like better outlets and charging ports for the number of devices we are all carrying these days. In-cabin entertainment was also limited and the ability to plug your own device into the TV to watch pre-recorded shows would be a nice amenity. We could get to an open input but the TV is preprogrammed so that you cannot change inputs and are forced to watch the Princess stuff. Our chair was completely broken (I completely fell through it when I first sat down) but was fixed quickly. The demographic on this cruise was VERY old and it made traveling with a teenager a little difficult although he doesn't complain, he was bored on-board. Luckily we had 11 stops so we got off fairly often. Too bad the shore excursions were so astronomically expensive or we would have done more. Also, the shore excursions seemed to rush from one attraction to another never giving you a chance to explore in any depth. All the on-board entertainment seemed to be geared for people 75+. You've got to mix it up a little. Not everyone is into big bands, show tunes, and stuff from the 1960s and earlier. I'm in my 50s and was simply flabbergasted at the lack of entertainment for even my generation, much less anyone younger. The real disappointment however was the food. This was by-far the worst food I've experienced on a cruise. (I've been on 6) The Horizon was awful and had no variety at all. Every piece of beef we had on this ship (even in Sterling Steakhouse) was overcooked and tough as leather. Sabatini's was the only really great meal we had. The pizza place in the Piazza was decent also. We've always had great food when it was an Italian or French food services crew but I think this one was British. I'm not sure if that had something to do with it but the food was bland, under-seasoned and every piece of bread was hard as a rock. Overall, service was top-notch and the crew treated us great. We had a very good time despite the short-comings compared to other cruises. One thing I have to note though is that Princess has gotten out of hand with the "nickel & diming" and charging extra for every little thing. Charging extra for things like regular coffee is no longer acceptable when I can stay in virtually any cheap motel worldwide and get free coffee. A cruise should be virtually all-inclusive for the amount we are paying. Bottom line: The destination was amazing and fun but the ship & crew need to be improved

Princess really needs to step up their game

Sapphire Princess Cruise Review by textodd

• Sail Date: June 2018
  • Destination: Baltic Sea
  • Cabin Type: Oceanview (obstructed view)

textodd’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 13 to 15
Get Sapphire Princess price drops

Oceanview (obstructed view)
Cabin OV E414
Excellent location! Our view was not obstructed at all!
Emerald Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins