3. Celebrity Summit
My husband and I had trepidations regarding this cruise as we had read some discouraging reviews about the Summit that were posted recently on Cruise Critic. We had sailed on the Summit seven years ago on a cruise to Bermuda and we were not highly impressed with that cruise. The furniture in the public rooms was a bit dilapidated, our cabin steward and his assistant seemed to be disinterested in their work and the main dining room dinners left much to be desired. However, friends had booked this July 8th cruise and asked us to join them. We did not want to disappoint them or their two children (ages 11and 8),so we booked a Conceierge cabin and hoped for the best. The Summit was sailing to Bermuda, our favorite vacation destination, so we thought that if the ship experience wasn’t stellar,at least we had an opportunity to revisit Bermuda. We were delighted and surprised to find that this cruise was one of the best cruises we have taken. Past cruises include Princess (Platinum level), Cunard (one transatlantic crossing) and NCL ( three and no more). Of course we enjoyed the company of our friends, but for the purpose of this review,I am focusing on our positive experience with the Summit and Celebrity. We arrived at the pier at Cape Liberty shortly after 11:00. A porter took our bags and we took our places on a short line to the check-in desk. After the check-in process was finished, we were prepared to sit in the priority seating area in the terminal to await boarding. We were surprised to be directed to elevators to the gangway and we were on the ship before 11:30 ! Although we were informed about lunch being served in the MDR, we headed to the Oceanview Cafe where we met our friends for lunch. Soon, we were given the go ahead to proceed to our cabin. We were in cabin 8052 (Deck 8 starboard). Again, we were pleasantly surprised to find our cabin clean, tidy and comfortable. The couch did show some wear , the carpet seams were a bit open in spots and there was some rust near the bathroom door, but we were expecting to see some wear and tear as the Summit is an eleven year old ship. The balcony was a comfortable size and it had a good overhang som we were shielded from too much sun. We enjoyed room service breakfast there every morning and also enjoyed sitting watching the ocean on sea days. Our steward,Alfredo, introduced himself and asked if we had any requests. We only asked for additional towels and ice daily. These requests were always fulfilled with a kind and pleasant attitude from Alfredo. His service was so prompt and considerate during the cruise, we gave him a extra tip on the last night of the cruise. During the cruise, we were pleased to see that all the staff members that assisted us were pleasant and helpful. While service in the MDR -Select Dining was very good, my DH felt that the portions were small and we often found ourselves in the buffet for an evening snack. We went to one show .Cruise ship shows are not my favorite as we have been spoiled with being able to see so many Broadway shows in NYC. I think the show on the second night was entitled Life. It was okay and we were pleased to see live musicians on stage instead of canned music. As on any cruise ship, the pool deck was busy. We did go one sea day morning around 8:30 and had no problem getting lounge chairs in the shade. We stayed there until lunch time when the area was really becoming crowded . The children enjoyed the pools very much, some evenings after dinner they returned for more swimming when the pools were not so crowded. My DH and I enjoyed the Cafe a Bacio mostly every afternoon for a specialty coffee. This area seemed larger and more comfortable that what existed on the Summit seven years ago. Service there was always very prompt and pleasant. One day, my DH and I took a self guided tour of the ship. We were pleased to see that the public areas seemed to have been given a much needed refreshment. The sitting areas looked new and brighter than we remembered. We did not participate in any daytime activities and when I read the Today sheets, I didn’t see too much offered other than revenue creating events such as bingo, spa tours, wine tastings etc. in this department, Princess does a better job with entertaining daytime activities being almost constantly presented in the atrium areas. However, we have come to our own certain routines that we have on cruises and we do not need much in the way of organized activities to keep our attention while on a ship. Visiting Bermuda is always a joy for us. We visited Hamilton and we were pleased to see an increase in activity in the city that we had not seen on recent visits. We enjoyed a brunch at the Hamilton Princess and walked about on Front Street until the high humidity caused us to make a return to the ship. We also shopped ,took photos and spent some time with our friends at the Dockyard. They also went to Horseshoe Bay twice and loved the beach and swimming there. They took taxis both times and found them to be quick and reasonable. We all chose the walk off option for disembarkation. We were directed to the lounge on Deck 4, where the gangway was set up. At 8:15,we were called to walk off the ship. The lines for customs moved very quickly. I recall that there were four agents there to check our passports and welcome us back to the US. I have to say the embarkation and disembarkation at Port Liberty were the easiest we have experienced. So much better that the Manhattan pier and also Fort Lauderdale. Because of this positive experience on the Summit and the fact that the ship is slated for a multi-million dollar renovation in drydock during February and March of 2019, we are seriously considering another Summit cruise for Spring 2019.

Surprising Summit

Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by MJSailors

• Sail Date: July 2018
  • Destination: Bermuda
  • Cabin Type: Concierge Class 2

Soon, we were given the go ahead to proceed to our cabin.

MJSailors’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Summit price drops

Concierge Class 2
Cabin C2 8052
As mentioned, the cabin did show some wear,but it was clean and comfortable. There were no toilet or AC issues for the entire cruise. We found the bed to be very comfortable.
There was plenty of storage for us. The only thing I could criticize was the availability of TV programming. Choices were very limited and most movies,except those shown on the ship, were pay per view. Princess has a greater selection of in-cabin movies without charging for them.
The CD’s morning show was a bit lackluster. I watched it for only two mornings.
In a way, we did not miss TV !
The bathroom toiletries were very good. Gilchrest and Soames are some of my favorite products.
I think it may be important to note that window washing equipment was stored outside of a few cabins to our left. It made a slight obstruction of our view, but it would not cause us to not book cabin 8052 in the future.
Deck 8 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins