• Cheers to 25 years: Celebrate with Us!
  • Find a Cruise
  • Deals
  • Excursions

Golden Princess Review

Editor Rating
1 Award

The ports were great; the ship, not so much

Review for Golden Princess to Alaska
cinfromsyr
10+ Cruises • Age 60s

Sail Date: Jul 2018
Cabin: Balcony

Let me preface this review with the fact that my family has sailed twice on the Golden and I know it is not a brand new ship. Three prior sailings were fine.Embarkation was smooth Whittier. Our balcony cabin was fine. We attended a few of the shows and lounge entertainment. They were what you expect on a ship.

However, the disrepair that the ship has fallen into was shocking. The crew was very good, working under less than desirable conditions. They were very outspoken when asked about the condition of the ship, describing some serious issues in the crew quarters. Some of those issues also appeared in the public areas. The ship has a serious mold and mildew problem, stemming from what was described to me as leaky pipes throughout the ship. While walking through the hallways to our cabins, there was a distinct mold & mildew odor. There were numerous water stains on the wall coverings as well. In the hallway directly across from my daughter's cabin, there was a large, soaking wet area. We brought this problem to the attention of Guest Services 4 times before they actually put a fan on the area to dry out the carpet. I requested to be contacted by the Manager of the Hotel twice and never received a call or note. We finally ran into him on deck the last sea day of the cruise. He is aware of the infrastructure issues, but says the problems are so extensive it all comes down to spending the money to do the repairs. Anyone with serious respiratory issues should think twice before booking a cruise on this ship. The ship has been in dry dock as recently at May; they replaced some of the carpet and did not address the real issues.

The food was mediocre at best. There were several standout crew members who saw to it that our needs were met. Skip Sabatini's, the specialty Italian restaurant. Not worth the $$$.

Response from TaylorW, Social Team, Princess Cruises

Hi cinfromsyr, we apologize for your disappointment during your voyage. Golden Princess recently underwent a 14-day-long refit followed by additional pipe maintenance. We apologize for the...

Balcony

Cabin BA

The cabin was fine. A little tired and worn. Bathroom very small. However the mold and mildew smell that permeated the ship did not leach into our stateroom.

6 Helpful Votes