Island Princess Cruise Review
1,190 Reviews

Beautiful trip and lucky weather!

Island Princess Cruise Review by ladyvet

• Sail Date: Jun 2018
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

I was a little concerned after reading recent reviews of Island Princess, but in reality everything was great. We were among the first to board, having taken the train from Anchorage. For a couple of hours, it was like we had the ship to ourselves. We went straight to our cabins and settled in. I had an aft balcony (B741), which was wonderful, especially when we were leaving port. The bed was comfortable, and the space was adequate. The balcony was private, and I got to use it frequently.

The food overall was very good. One night I ordered a dish that was oddly prepared. The waiter watched me try it, and flew right back over to get me another entree. Otherwise, I thought the selections, presentations, and quality were very good. I was traveling with my 22 and 20 year old children, and they also enjoyed the food.

We chose the Kroschel Wildlife excursion out of Skagway, which was terrific. The ride to Haines was scenic, and Steve Kroschel is quite a fellow. You won't have another experience with Alaska wildlife like this one. Our other excursion was the float plane over the glaciers with a brunch at Taku Lodge. We had a beautiful flight, a delicious brunch, and a nature hike around the property. I highly recommend both excursions.

People say the ship is dated, and maybe there are some signs here and there. I noticed workers replacing carpet and cleaning. The condition of the ship did not detract from my experience. I also love that they play episodes of Love Boat! We saw all three big production shows. They were good, but not great. The one based on New Orleans was my favorite.

We also visited the fitness center several times. The equipment was plentiful and in good condition. We worked off a few calories!

We had a really good time, and we were fortunate that every time we needed a dry day, we got it. We had a little rain, but nothing like I have read some people experienced. We would recommend this ship and itinerary.

ladyvet's Full Rating Summary

Balcony
Cabin BC B741

I loved my cabin. I especially liked being at the very back when leaving the ports. Comfortable bed and plenty of space.

ladyvet