3. Norwegian Getaway
Overall Cruise It was pretty good. I felt relaxed overall and have a pretty good time. The staff did their job well. I found a considerable language gap that was always bridged by another crew member when the message was not fully conveyed. Ultimate Drink Package I found that using this as perk was not as easy or as obvious as it claimed. One would expect this to cover the entire ship but it really does not. Getting a drink often has one standing in line during the days and making it very clear in the evenings at dinner you have the package. I did get dinged on a wine machine in the buffet area that does not participate in the package, a prime example of how it doesn't work. Shore excursions We went on a shore excursion at every port. Costa Maya, we went on a snokel trip with the pirates. They were terrific, nice people, competent. At Harvest Caye we went on a dive as well but they were far less competent. The captain ran the boat aground upon a sandbar and stranded us there. We took another tour's boat back to the Caye standing that tour until they returned. The tour operators NCL picks must be based on winning bid and price not quality. It was completely disorganized. The worst part, I think, is that this stop was the NCL property and the expectation would be operators working from the property would be vetted by NCL to insure the brand name was associated with a quality experience. It was not the case. I look upon the property as commercial venture to boost hard dollar spending, a non-port of sorts Our maid staff Our person, Wayne, was terrific. He helped us out and did everything right. Others on the ship have commented they received similar service. Restaurants on board: - Japanese Tapanyaki - Runs like clockwork. In fact it runs so well the surrounding staff (not the chef) are almost robotic. All the way down to offering the photo at the table. It's a full benehana rip-off done very well. Our chef was excellent, Johnny. - Moderno - Brazilian - It was good. The wait staff service level was a little off. This was more than made up for by surrounding staff. Overall, good - Italian - I wouldn't recommend it. It's really run poorly. The manager of this restaurant should be drawn and quartered. I'm kidding, that an excessive punishment. Though, sitting for a meal in this restaurant was too. I asked the wait staff about a dish I was considering and he flat out told me it was terrible. I actually thanked him later. Service levels were just off and the place looked disorganized. - Tropicana - Meh,,, I wouldn't recommend it. I liked the live music while dinning but the crowd doesn't respect the performers and the service level was sub-par. It's too bad - Savor - Service level was good. The manager must have some experience because it there was care taken to insure a good experience. It gets a good rating. - Buffet area in the 15th deck was pretty crowded most meal times. A lot of family travelers didn't want to deal with formal dinning rooms. I get it, but man this area was crazy!. Still, you could get some decent food here reliably.

Review of everything on the Getaway

Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by regularcruisers

regularcruisers’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Getaway price drops

Spa Balcony Stateroom
Cabin B9 14716
Cabin was spacious and clean. It had a balcony that was decent. Overall the cabin was good.
Deck 14 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Snorkeling
    Pirate snorkel. Nice operator. Did a great job. Corny but fun
    View All 74 Snorkeling Reviews
  • ATV Adventure
    The cave was not beautiful. My wife coun't operate the ATV. They did give us a two seat ATV to compensate and that was helpful. We were disappointed the destination did not look like the picture. It was fun riding the ATV kind of.
    View All 99 ATV Adventure Reviews
  • Harvest Caye
    My experience at Harvest Caye was terrible. NCL needs to figure out that a non-port stop on an island they own needs to be perfect or the brand suffers. My experience is directly ties to the brand at that point. No call on my cabin phone to explain they will work things out with the tour operator solves the larger problem.

Total disaster. Snorkel tour. Reef was terrible. Guide was terrible. Boat ran aground on sand bar and stranded the tour.
    View All 974 Harvest Caye Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Harvest Caye Cruise Port Review
  • Scuba Diving
    Anthony's Key Resort operates the diving tour. They are skilled professionals. They are serious and expect divers to be ready with current skills. They will reject you if you're not up-to-date in your log. It was not a problem with anyone on our trip. One guy lost the first dive with issues of his own doing. He was not injured in any way but was not fully skilled and did not check his equipment before his dive, tightening his stage1 to the tank (basic stuff)
    View All 37 Scuba Diving Reviews