3. Britannia
I chose this cruise due to its itinerary and duration -Baltic states, unfortunately so did at least several thousand other folks on at least 4 other cruise ships in the same ports everyday (8 ships in St Petersburg) so be prepared this itinerary is VERY popular. Britannia herself looks spectacular in port, there’s no dioubting that, but she’s a little too big for my usual choice of ship but the lack of midships stairs (!) did mean I walked miles everyday and didn’t actually put on weight! Another reason that could have been was the very poor buffet. The food choice was hugely limited at breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea, you could have played tennis with the scones. This was the worst buffet of any ship I have been on. The evening food in the oriental restaurant did have a wide choice of mains but if you are veggie I think you’d find a very limited choice, the vegetables and potatoes on every dish were very boring and samey. Having said that the service was top notch not sure whether the food mediocracy was designed to push you to the ‘cover charge’ options. Entertainment - in the Headliners was excellent as was in the live lounge. Day time entertainment was average but if you love sailaway parties then you won’t be disappointed. Casino is small and Brodie’s is a good spot - Chiona the waitress- super! The cabin was snug for 3, with that very annoying feature of the pull out bed right by the balcony doors so you can’t use the balcony after 7 ish unless you are an acrobat! Like the free hanging rail for clothes, so much better than wardrobes, which means the shower is so much bigger than on other ships. Cabin attendant was very good. There are only 3 pools on the boat, with a plunge pool on deck 16, not a lot for 3,600 people and only 2 jacuzzis unless you add in the one in the pay per visit Retreat. The pools were freezing! The in room tv was good with some great movies and they did show good movies most days in the lounges. Getting ashore was fine with only one hold up getting back on board. £75 for a behind the scenes tour is a tad steep but £25 for the sailaway in Stockholm was good value. The spa was lovely with two of the best massages I’ve ever had but the acupuncture was disappointing and expensive as were the Jou supplements. The gym was free and well kitted out, if you venture there. On the whole Britannia is a relatively new modern ship, with modern fixtures and fittings. If you want old style glamour then choose Cunard or an older P&O ship, but if you like sleek modern then Britannia is for you.

Big Boat

Britannia Cruise Review by Scotland Tigger

Casino is small and Brodie’s is a good spot - Chiona the waitress- super!

The pools were freezing!

Getting ashore was fine with only one hold up getting back on board.

Scotland Tigger’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 13 to 15
Get P&O Britannia price drops

Cabin G496
A little snug, allocated as partial view but we were lucky and were in between lifeboats so had a great view. Balcony tiny!

• City Tour
    Good to wander between places. Little mermaid nicer than I had been led to believe, royal palace - great to get up close and personal but the guards shout at you if you sit on the steps! Old town centre is nice to wander around.
    View All 171 City Tour Reviews
  • Tivoli Gardens
    tivoli is a lovely oasis’s in the middle of a city. Some not too scary rides set in lovely gardens and shops but boy is Denmark expensive to shop/eat.
    The guide told us our rides were included in our ticket price but that’s not the case, a single ticket is about £3.50 and most rides are 2-4 tickets each.
    We just wandered, had a cake and sat in the lovely gardens in the sun. The included boat trip was nice and we had our 2nd viewing of the little mermaid that day, but from the water this time.
    View All 55 Tivoli Gardens Reviews
  • Helsinki
    I liked Helsinki but opinions were divided in the family. Some nice old buildings, busy harbour area with market, Ferris wheel and outdoor bathing pools. Missed the crafty street next to the town hall, as we ran out of time, town hall good for a loo stop. Not sure of the point of the prison hotel stop for tea and biscuits. Good thing about this was the chance to wander butvget delivered to key places in the city.
    View All 12,792 Helsinki Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Helsinki Cruise Port Review
  • Rostock (Warnemunde)
    Travelled by shuttle bus, no charge. Nice old town but I suspect rebuilt after WW2.
    No real need for a tour here, just wander, shop and have a beer.
    View All 364 Rostock (Warnemunde) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Rostock (Warnemunde) Cruise Port Review
  • Skagen
    Didn’t understand why we were stopping here but what a great wee place. We saw it in the sunshine with a music festival going on so that made it very eclectic and fun. We took the trip to the Atlantic wall, which was so informative and peaceful, as we were the only coach trip, which made a really pleasant change. This trip does have a lot of steps so beware if you’re not too agile but the museum was lovely. A Danish military band played us out of harbour which was really sweet.
    View All 69 Skagen Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Skagen Cruise Port Review
  • Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood
    We did this as part of a 3 stop type trip. Great church and enjoyable other stops, lots of hawkers at the church. I would buy from them as the ‘official’ shops are very expensive.
    View All 185 Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood Reviews
  • Hermitage Museum
    Amazing building but mobbed! Hugely busy and easy to loos3 your guide. We plumped for Hermitage at a slower pace, which was quick enough. Only 2hrs as we thought our 15yr okd would get bored, enough to give a flavour unless you are a huge museum fan. Tip- don’t cross the road unless on tb3 green man, I got severely tools off!
    View All 334 Hermitage Museum Reviews
  • Russian Folk Dance
    Great theatre, very good troupe even though they are still students and not professionals. Fizz at half time and a chance to but some trinkets, not to badly priced either.
    View All 41 Russian Folk Dance Reviews
  • Ice Bar
    Great tour guide- loved her enthusiasm. I liked Stockholm very much, old town is great but I’d miss the ice bar, not worth going really, it’s tiny and you could get the same experience standing in the cold store at Sainsbury’s, I’d spend more time exploring the lovely city. Sail away is stunning.
  • Tallinn
    We took the hop on hop off bus, I wouldn’t do it again, quite expensive and not too much to see although you can get off at the top of the old town saving the walk up. The shuttle buses are free but you can walk into town. The old town is nice but Tallinn to me was a disappointment, it feels like they’ve lost their way with their city vision to me. Riga is much nicer for a country with a similar history.
    View All 1,004 Tallinn Cruise Port Reviews