Sun Princess Cruise Review

Sun Princess Cruise Review by Dawson1979

• Sail Date: Jul 2018
  • Destination: Asia
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

Due to the time we can go on holidays we were limited to which cruise and which cruise liner and we wanted a cruise that visited stops we hadn’t been to and as it was our first cruise we wanted a shorter cruise. Overall the experience was good but there were many points that could have been improved.

The laundromats were mostly under maintenance, this included the token machines on every deck being broken, and no signage to tell you to go to deck 5 to get them, at least 1 washer and 1 dryer in most being under maintenance. Many of the ladies toilets on deck 12 (pool deck) under maintenance. The terrible smell on deck 7 near the Wheelhouse Bar was unbearable at times, there was a blower drying carpet for most of the trip so I imagine some sort of leaking pipe.

The mess up with the prepaid internet, drinks package and gratuities has us wondering what our final bill or credit will end up being. The bar staff are lovely and our stateroom steward were all amazing, the specialty restaurant staff were also good, we could not thank them enough for the service they all provided and they were very knowledgeable. The staff in the Horizon dining room and the Terrace Grill were mostly disinterested and I felt like I was a burden, I understand they put up with a lot of demanding rude customers but we are not all like that. Anything dining was mixed, some food was great, some were not nice, on 2 separate occasions I had questions re the menu, the origin of a particular wine and whether the Barramundi was Australian or imported from Asia, both questions took forever to answer as the wait staff had no idea, they finally tracked down a wine menu that wasn’t predominantly in Chinese so I worked the wine out myself and after some time yes the fish was also confirmed, I would have though menu knowledge important in the nicer dining room.

The stateroom with the balcony was great, I loved the bed as it was very very soft but it was too soft for my husband. The room was cleaned twice a day by a very friendly steward and it felt very secure, there was a small issue with 2 of the lights but this was fixed within a few days.

Due to the Typhoon our trip was extended a day so we got an extra 36 hours in Hong Kong which was great, the captain kept us informed of what was happening the whole time and this was greatly appreciated.

Overall it was not a bad experience but we won’t be rushing out to do another cruise in or around Asia anytime soon and we will be giving the Sun Princess a miss as well.

Dawson1979's Full Rating Summary

Balcony
Cabin BD B511

The stateroom with the balcony was great, small but adequate, room for case storage under the bed with plenty of drawers and closet space, the balcony had 2 chairs and a small table.

I loved the bed as it was very very soft but it was too soft for my husband. The room was cleaned twice a day by a very friendly steward and it felt very secure, there was a small issue with 2 of the lights but this was fixed within a few days. The fridge is tiny and it’s more like a cooler than a fridge. Shampoo, soap, body wash and lotion provided. The hairdryer is ok but not great, there is an Aussie plug behind the TV. I would book a balcony room again.

Dawson1979