3. Norwegian Getaway
Review of NCL Getaway - July 1-8, 2018 Miami - Roatan - Harvest Caye - Costa Maya - Cozumel This was the cruise that returned late back to Port Miami as the ship went back to look for a crew member that went overboard. Kudos to NCL and the housekeeping staff that they were able to turn around the cabins with so little time between letting off passengers and taking on new ones. NCL could've done a better job communicating the delay by using email or a note on their website. I use Google Voice for my phone and unless someone acknowledges the call, the automated message isn't played and I just get a notice of a call but no voice mail. (I was flying to Miami and didn't have service during my flight for obvious reasons). I did end up getting two calls on my cell the day of the cruise which were the exact same stating that we should not arrive at the port until 3pm as boarding wouldn't start until 4pm. As an aside, my shuttle service QLS Transportation was great in rescheduling the pick up from my hotel and drop off to the port. When we arrived at Port Miami, it was definitely crowded with so many passengers getting off and checking in at the same time. The port staff did a great job keeping things moving. We got through security quite quickly (could be due to the time we were at the port 2pm). I know, I didn't obey the message from NCL and would've been fine with waiting around but I was also at the mercy of my pre-arranged shuttle. Check in was a breeze too. We are platinum so we joined that line in the far corner of Terminal B. Before I could even plant my feet to wait for the next agent, we were called to check in. A pleasant surprise at the counter was that due to the delay of the ship, each person would get a $30 OBC to cover lunch at Bayside. Speaking of which, they also provided a free shuttle from the port to Bayside and back. I don't know if that was NCL's doing or not, but a nice gesture. There was quite a long line up of people going from Bayside back to the port when we took our shuttle to Bayside around 2:30pm. I think if there was just one more bus in service, there wouldn't have been such a wait. This "trip" to Bayside was a treat for my family as we typically just shuttle from the hotel to the port. Boarding Time!!! We got on very quickly again due to Platinum status and skipped a whole long line up just before 5pm. Rooms were not ready obviously, but we explored the ship and were hoping to get to dinner sooner. However, muster got in the way and by the time that finished, we were famished so off to Taste.I have to admit, in the number of NCL cruises my family and I have taken, this is the first one where we didn't find anything or anyone that was EXCEPTIONAL to get a Vacation Hero card. We had a bad experience in Savor one night and I wrote about that to the Hotel Director's box. It sounds like they read it as I received a $5pp refundable OBC on my account for that day. Probably as a gesture for the issue. Cabin This was clean and well kept. Though we got back one evening and ready for bed but he hadn't gotten to the turn down. So we just pulled the beds down ourselves. We felt there were some corners cut as the trash wasn't always dumped from the door that covers the sink. Also, I'm not sure if this is standard, but he used wet towels to make the animals. That would be fine if you put it on a table, but as we all know, they sit on the bed. I just hope they were our towels. I put them on the floor for a reason and they make it back to the bed. Go figure. Entertainment and Activities We only caught Burn The Floor but it was an excellent show. Million Dollar Quartet interfered with Headliners so we opted to do the latter instead. Tips If you want to see the comedy shows, book them ahead of time. The 9pm showing typically has a line up at Headliners. Escape The Big Top - I feel if you don't book that upon embarkation, you don't get in. I was at the Box Office the next day and they said it was booked and we could try Stand By. However, looking at the line up during the first game on Friday, you could be standing by until Saturday for the second game and possibly still not get in. Dining Dined in Taste, Savor, O'Sheehan's, Shanghai's, La Cucina, Cagney's and Garden Cafe. Overall a great food experience as compared to other lines we've sailed.We used our Platinum specialty dining vouchers for La Cucina and Cagney's. Spouse says skip the fish at La Cucina. Cagney's was great as always. Try the porterhouse. 20oz of beef. Yum! Top it off with the seven layer cake. Service Aside from the one evening in Savor, service was great. I loitered a lot in Garden Cafe and to look up and see more than a handful of crew moving about keeping tables clean was a blessing. Crew in the hallways would acknowledge you and say hi. The staff at the various water areas and sports activities were always upbeat and very friendly. I sailed a different line in November 2017 and there were always announcements virtually begging you to rid yourself so others can come and enjoy their meal at the buffet. They didn't clear tables quick enough, hence the need for the PA message. Kids Activities I have two kids, 7 and 5 and even though they didn't want to go to Splash Academy everyday, they enjoyed themselves there and we could see it on their faces at pick up time. My kids were tall enough to enjoy three of the five water slides. Only the two free fall slides (blue and green) required a weight of 99lbs+ to ride. The pool next to the kids play area is shallow overall around 4'3" at its deepest I think. There are life jackets for the kids and a lifeguard on duty. My 7 year old could do the main ropes course along with the Spider Mountain and Getaway Bounce. 48" is the minimum for ropes and 42" for Spider Mountain and Getaway Bounce. However, their favorite was the mini-golf. Or should I say, mini-hockey. Harvest Caye This was our first time at Harvest Caye and we were impressed. The pool was great with the small waterfall. Deep enough for my 7 year old to feel comfortable without life jacket. As other reviews have mentioned, the sand on the beach is not that fine. I'm surprised how people are playing beach volleyball or even just walking on it barefoot. We did not participate in any of the ship sponsored Shore Excursions.

Great Time As Always... Few Hiccups but Not Bad

Boarding Time!!!

Entertainment and Activities

Tips

Kids Activities

However, their favorite was the mini-golf. Or should I say, mini-hockey.

Harvest Caye

We did not participate in any of the ship sponsored Shore Excursions.
eiloo’s Full Rating Summary