3. Celebrity Eclipse
We sailed from Amsterdamin in June and the itinerary was one of the most interesting we have done. This is our 5th cruise on Celebrity and our 14th cruise overall. As usual, the ship, the crew and the food and entertainment were all excellent. We were part of a large group and our travel agent had arranged for private tours in all ports except for Germany and Holland. We couldn’t have asked for a better experience on our tours. While the two full tour days in St. Petersburg were pricey, they included lunch on both days and were well worth the expense. Our tour guide, Elena, of Baltic City Breaks was our guide for the two days we spent in Russia. She was absolutely outstanding. In addition, Elena helped arrange for the other private tours in our other ports of call with the exception of Amsterdam where we spent two extra days after the cruise touring on our own. All the guides were exceptional and spoke excellent English. Our one negative experience on this cruise was one I had never experienced before in any of our previous cruises. Hopefully it was only with the individual who dealt with me and not a general approach by Celebrity. As is our usual practice, we do not participate in automatic gratuities, preferring always to provide the recommended tip directly to the crew member who made our cruise experience a great one - our room attendant, our wait staff in the dining room, bar servers and any others who we feel went above and beyond. When I went to Guest Relations to have the automatic gratuities removed from our account, I was asked to sign a book that recorded our cabin number - I have never had that happen before. In addition, to my surprise, two days before disembarkation we received envelopes in our cabin addressed to us with identified crew members who we should be tipping and the amount. Accompanying the envelopes was a card from the guest relations representative who I had dealt with. To say I was annoyed and taken aback at the arrogance of this is an understatement and left a very bad impression of how Celebrity chooses to treat their passengers who do not wish to adhere to their enforcement of gratuities. Since most of our friends had chosen to have their gratuities covered as their perk for this cruise, they did not have this “reminder” given to them. Gratuities are by our understanding, a means of showing appreciation and thanks for exceptional services. We have no problem with doing so and do it often but we were offended by the approach by this particular guest relations representative which unfortunately tainted our impression of an otherwise great cruise.

Fantastic itinerary, wonderful ship but gratuity experience disappointing

Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by Scagai

• Sail Date: June 2018
  • Destination: Baltic Sea
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Veranda

Scagai’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Eclipse price drops

Deluxe Veranda
Cabin 1A 6233
Lots of room and as usual, great shower space in the bathroom.
Panorama Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins