3. Viking Delling
Overall cruise, April 2018, was lovely but forewarned is forearmed. BTW, I submitted the following to Viking and have yet to receive a response: First and most egregious- On the first evening of our cruise, I misplaced a brand new iPhone X, purchased specifically for this trip at a cost of $1000+. How I lost it, was probably due to my carelessness and I want to say upfront that I strongly believe it was NOT taken from my room onboard. My sister and I had spent time on the top, outside deck when we first embarked and took several photos there. That was the last time I saw my phone until I was able to track it down through the use of technology. That same evening after searching every pocket, piece of luggage, drawer, closet, under bed area, etc. many times over, my sister went to the main desk to ask if anyone had turned in a phone, that mine was missing. She returned to the room to say that no phone had been turned in. I asked her if either person at the desk (a man and a woman) had asked her for our names or room number. She said no. We both thought that was odd. Not one to panic, I went to bed and the next morning took a camera on our first tour. We were gone until dinner. At this point I was feeling anxious, sad, and concerned that my phone was gone for good- the phone I had purchased specifically for this trip because of its avowed camera features and all the pictures I intended to take. In desperation, after dinner I searched the same places multiple times once again. I happen to have an Apple watch which has an icon to touch when you want to “ping” your phone. My sister and I both noticed that the icon was barely visible, and unrecognizable unless you knew it was supposed to be there. I then went down to the desk to ask again if anyone had turned in a phone. The two people behind the desk briefly looked and said no. I was about to leave but asked if they knew if the Apple watch faded icon was significant and proceeded to look at my watch and, to my great surprise, noticed that the icon was brightly lit. So, I asked them if they thought THAT was significant and they both shrugged their shoulders which I took to mean they didn’t know about the feature. Interestingly, the male staff member walked through a nearby open door and almost immediately returned with my phone in his hand, saying it was in the safe. At this point I’m maintaining my composure but feeling very perturbed 1) that the safe wasn’t the FIRST place they looked, 2) that clearly my phone had been turned in and why hadn’t that been announced over the PA system, 3) that had I NOT had the Apple watch, most likely I would never have seen the phone again. I was so aghast that I was afraid of what might come out of my mouth if I started venting so I simply said that I was thankful for a positive outcome. Fast forward to a day or two later, when I found I was still too upset to let things go. I went down to the desk and said what a great cruise but I felt I had to let them know how upsetting it was that I could have lost my phone due to an apparent lack of constructive concern and assistance on my behalf. the head of the cruise overheard my comments and came over to ask who had been behind the desk. I pointed to the woman and said that she had been but the man who recovered the phone from the safe was not there. Later, she said she was taking the phone incident very seriously, however, I have not heard anything since. Here’s the funny thing. I was not at all suspicious of any nefarious intent until the phone “miraculously” appeared and even more so when upon recounting my experience to friends at home, invariably the reaction has been: “They were trying to steal it”. Second My sister and I signed up for the Silver Drinks Beverage Package. We were so busy during the day that the only time we could take advantage was at dinner. That is not my complaint. My complaint is that there was NEVER a wine/drink list offered at our dinner table, EVER. We always had to ASK for it so the scenario went something like this. Waiter comes to table extolling the quality of the house wines (nothing special- one, served several times, was Le Vielle Ferme, a cheap wine available at my local grocery) and pours glasses for those who want it. My sister and I say we have the package and ask for a wine list. 10 minutes later, give or take, the waiter returns with the wine list and goes away. 10 minutes later he returns to take our wine order. 10 minutes later he returns with out wine. We are now 30 minutes into the dinner when we finally get our wine. I spoke to another passenger about this and he said he gave his waiter money up front and got excellent service. Is 300 dollars “up front” not sufficient for good service?! When I returned home and told a neighbor who had recommended the package she was stunned. We had time to have a glass, maybe two, at dinner and often the bottle was removed so we had to ask the waiter to go get the bottle. This also made it challenging to take the remaining wine back to the room which my neighbor had said was never an issue on their cruise. I repeat, we ALWAYS had to ask for the wine list. Did we think we would consume $300 worth of drinks in a week? No. Did we think we would get excellent service and attention? Yes. Were we not recognized as Silver Package people after several days on board? Was it because we are female? Was it because we didn’t pass money under the table to the wait staff? I don’t know. I do know the end result was a feeling of being cheated. Third The trip to Camargue was one my sister and I were looking forward to because of the horses. The Camargue horses are well known and were pictured in the Viking summary of that tour. We didn’t see ANY in the wild. AND spent virtually the entire tour listening to a talk on bull races which was of little or no interest to us. Okay. That’s it, except to say were it not for the problems outlined above, the first and second in particular, we would have recommended the Viking Rhone River Cruise without reservation. https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187265-d628900-r594439529-The_Rhone-Lyon_Rhone_Auvergne_Rhone_Alpes.html#

Viking Rhone River Cruise Cautionary Tale

TeAnau’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Delling price drops

Veranda Stateroom
Cabin B 305
This was a fine room except when we were moored alongside another ship.
Middle Deck Balcony Cabins