3. Celebrity Silhouette
Our third cruise overall and second on Celebrity. We booked this through Planet Cruise after they had one hell of a deal on an inside cabin that we couldn't miss out on. As a bonus, they phoned up 72 hours before we left and offered us an upgrade to Concierge for absolute buttons so we ended up on Deck 12 (room 2142) with all the trimmings. Downside of the room - its under the Oceanview Cafe, so there was some noise from above as trolleys were wheeled in. This could have been annoying but we had such a good deal that you couldn't really complain. Bruges - Took the Half-Day on your own Tour. In hindsight, an expensive Shuttle Bus. Being a Sunday, pretty much everything was shut until 10am, we were in town for 8am ish and leaving at 12am. However, the quietness gave us lots of chance to take some good photos of a stunningly beautiful city. Once things opened up, it got very busy indeed. Copenhagen - Hop on Hop Off Bus as we have been there before, so we had a couple of places to tick off. First was the Skagen shop to get watches repaired and buy new ones. (Between my wife and I we have 8 Skagens. My only weakness.) Then into Nyhavn for a boat tour, before food. Celebrity were handing out 20% wristbands at a particular place - can't remember the name but it begins with F. Anyway, the food there was well worth it. Stockholm - Shuttle bus both days. Fell in love with the place. First day was wandering around the Old Town, visiting the Nobel Museum, then over on the water bus to the Vasa Museum. Both recommended - the latter really recommended. Second day was largely spent riding the Underground. If you didn't know about the Stockholm Metro, then most of the stations are unusually decorated, and quite a lot are bare walls, so it looks like you are riding through a cave system. Unique and really interesting. Tallinn - Hop On Hop Off Bus. Did the lap up to the top of the Old Town, walked down. Really, really pretty. Very touristy though with the souvenir shops selling pretty much the same thing. Did find a really nice pair of amber earrings for my wife - we were choosing on quality, price and how much the shop assistant seemed to be watching us. Food at the bottom of the hill - Arizona Saloon it was called. Had a very good beer there. Onto the bus for the Green tour out to the TV Tower, then a wander back from the main stop near the Russian Cultural Centre to the ship. 20 minutes, if you know the route. St Petersburg - Cold-ish. Windy. Spent bobbing up and down 50 miles out. You might have read elsewhere that this was cancelled due to high winds. I don't blame the Captain, as he made a couple of attempts and it was rough seas. Obviously bitterly disappointing not to make it to the highlight of the itinerary. Staff were excellent, I thought, in difficult circumstances. Because the weather was bad, everyone was inside which for once made the ship feel crowded. Again, not a lot that can be done. This was the one place where I had mobile signal but couldn't use it. (My mobile package allows me to use the other ports as "home" so no extra fees.) Two days where I really could have done with the internet to pass a bit of time. Warnemunde - Been to Berlin before and love it but there was no way we were spending six hours on a bus to not see what we haven't been to. So we went to Lubeck and Wismar. These are very pretty old Hanseatic cities, and a walking tour with the excellent Kai around the old buildings. I think this is a bit of a hidden gem of a tour if you don't fancy the bus ride to Berlin. Back around 5pm, then food and a wander into Warnemunde itself. Very much recommended to do, as it is quite a pretty harbour to spend an evening walking around. Food: As always, very good. Didn't use main dining too much, as we were very much on a "we are switching off from anything that requires effort" type holiday, so going to the Oceanview in the evening became the default. Bought the 4 meal Specialty package, ended up using three and got a refund on the missing one which was good of X. Sampled QSine on a previous cruise and loved it, this repeat visit didn't disappoint. Other two uses were the Lawn Grill. We weren't intending to do that, just we went up there one (windy) evening and loved it so much that we went back on the penultimate night. Fresh flatbreads, then a steak to die for and shrimp and scallop kebabs. Really recommended, and ought to be more popular that it is. Entertainment: Watched Pete Matthews (juggler) and he was very good, and very funny. One moment had me in pieces - he got four guys up on stage, one of them was Asian and he asked him his name "Glenn". A slight pause and "I'll be honest, mate. I wasn't expecting that." I'm a sucker for magic, so two shows by Matthew McGurk and Katia, plus a packed out Magic Workshop could have been designed for me. Due to the rough seas, the cast show "Life" was swapped on the Thursday with a 60s tribute act The Revolvers. I'll be honest, I'm not a big fan of tribute acts but these guys were superb. And very accurate (They did a cover "The Sound of Silence" that was uncannily good.) The next night, wandered into "Life" and glad I did. Decent singing with a couple of standouts, plus some great acrobatics as well. Not usually my thing but enjoyed it. Around the ship, couldn't get enough of Ray Porter and his Jazz Band. Big Mike was a good listen as well. And one final thing - watching the England / Colombia penalty shootout in a Silhouette Theatre packed full of people in formal dress was a memorable experience. Food and drink on tap, I think they organised this brilliantly.

Despite no St Petersburg, an excellent trip.

Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by Plissken

• Sail Date: June 2018
  • Destination: Baltic Sea
  • Cabin Type: Concierge Class

Plissken’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Silhouette price drops

Concierge Class
Cabin C2 2142
Always clean, very good service. Incredibly comfy bed. Seemed slightly bigger than our last time in Concierge on Millennium. Under the Oceanview Cafe, so there is noise from maintenance, or trolleys being wheeled in (not from people though). On the balcony, there is the Oceanview overhang so it is not a perfect view at all. But we got a very cheap upgrade, so I'm not complaining.
Resort Deck Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins